H. Austin Booth
Vice Provost for University Libraries
University Libraries 2020
The University at Buffalo Libraries are in the midst of exciting transformations to ensure that our collections, services and programs anticipate and meet the changing needs of our users – students, faculty and community members at and beyond UB. Higher education institutions and academic libraries are in an era of unprecedented change created by public demands for accountability, financial challenges and the tremendous power of digital information to transform research, learning and teaching.
The Libraries are committed to providing meaningful educational experiences for all library users by:
- leveraging the power of digital and print information to support the creation of new knowledge
- creating environments which inspire learning, reflection and collaboration
- providing innovative services wherever our users are, including classrooms, offices, labs, clinics or virtual spaces
- analyzing the impact of scholarly communication changes on the University Libraries' collections and services
- partnering with teaching faculty to create global citizens who are able to navigate an increasingly complex information landscape
- supporting our staff as they master new competencies and transition to new roles to enhance research, teaching and learning
- assessing all of our activities to ensure that we are responsible stewards of our financial and human resources
University Libraries' faculty and staff are actively engaged in strategic planning. Our Directions originated in collaboration with the Association of Research Libraries to bring the Balanced Scorecard strategic planning process to research libraries. Using Balanced Scorecard, we identified key initiatives and measures which will help us move forward in supporting four areas: user communities, institutional directions, Libraries' staff and financial health. Our Progress Report will update you on our current efforts in each area.
The University Libraries are committed to ensuring that we meet your needs. I encourage you to learn more about our plan and offer your comments by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your perspective matters and will help make the Libraries better.
Our strategic plan represents our dedication to ongoing improvement and I invite you to follow our progress in years to come.
Vision, Mission, & ValuesVISION
The University Libraries will be recognized as premier academic research libraries that advance intellectual discovery by connecting people with knowledge.MISSION
Provide outstanding resources, experts, services and spaces to enrich the research, learning, teaching and creative activities of UB faculty, students and staff as well as those of the local and global community members we serve.VALUES
- excellent service
- collaboration, innovation and creativity
- inclusiveness and respect for the individual
- accountability for our actions and decisions
- ongoing, open communications