Circulation Services for Visitors
Courtesy Borrower/Library Research Station Access Card (blue card)
Who can use a Courtesy Borrower/Library Research Station Access Card (blue card)?
- Current UB Alumni Association members (One-time or annual fee)
- SUNY school Open Access Program member (Valid student/faculty/staff ID from any SUNY school)
- InfoPass Program member (Application obtained at participating WNY public or academic library for reciprocal borrowing privileges)
- Friends of the University Libraries member (Annual fee).
- Corporate Borrower Program member (Designated employee of eligible business firm).
Cards are available at any Circulation Desk. Corporate Borrowers and Friends of the University Libraries must obtain their card through the University Libraries' Billing Office, Room 118, Silverman Library, Capen Hall, telephone: (716) 645-5950, fax: (716) 645-6728.
How does the Courtesy Borrower/Library Research Station Access Card (blue card) work?
Your Courtesy Borrower / Library Research Station Access Card provides borrowing services from any of the University at Buffalo Libraries. Your card provides in-library access to article databases and electronic journals.
Please note: Off-campus access to most electronic resources is not available to Alumni and Visitors due to licensing restrictions. However, you may find many useful web-based resources on our Web Reference Sources page.
You are responsible for materials borrowed against your card.
Lost or stolen cards must be reported as soon as possible to the University Libraries' Billing Office, Room 118, Silverman Library, Capen Hall, telephone (716) 645-5950, fax: (716) 645-6728.
Because the Libraries notify you about overdue materials, changes of US mail or email address should be reported to the University Libraries Billing Office or at any Circulation Desk.
Library records associated with your Courtesy Borrower / Library Research Station Access Card are protected by the New York State Law, Civil Practice and Rules, Section 4509 Confidentiality of Library Record.
Renewing materials w/ the Courtesy Borrower/Library Research Station Access Card
Library materials may be renewed an unlimited number of times unless requested by another reader. Renewals can be made on My Library Card or at any circulation desk either in person by fax, or postal mail. You will need to have your Courtesy Borrower / Library Research Station Access Card (blue card) and the barcodes from each of the books.
- Telephone renewals are NOT permitted
- Not all materials are renewable
- Renewals are at the discretion of the individual Library until. Contact the circulation desk with any questions
How else can visitors gain access to databases?
If you are not currently affiliated with the University at Buffalo, you are unable to access our databases from outside the library. If you are a New York State resident, you can access databases freely through the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library, the new York State Library's NOVELNY, and the New York Public Library.