Capen Hall is home to the University administrative offices and to the University Libraries. It houses the offices of the President and Provost as well as the Library Director's office. It also contains the Science and Engineering Library, the Oscar Silverman Undergraduate Library, and Special Collections which include the world renowned Poetry Collection, the University Archives and the Libraries' collection of rare books. The Office of Admissions is also housed in Capen Hall.
Samuel Paul Capen (1878-1956), the seventh Chancellor of the University, distinguished himself as the foremost authority on higher education in the United States. Known as the "Architect of UB," Capen transformed the University under his leadership from a small group of autonomous schools into a modern university of 14 divisions and a central campus.
History and Chronology
- 1973 -- (October 25) SUNY Board of Trustees decides to name the new undergraduate library and administration building "Capen Hall" which was the former name of the Medical-Dental building on South Campus (now Farber Hall)
- 1977 -- (June) building completed
- 1977 -- (November 11) Dedication
- 1983 -- (August) Student services move into Capen
Building and Construction InformationArchitects: Sasaki, Dawson & Demay
Contractor: Albert Elia Building Company
Size: 310,576 gross sq. ft.