Skip to Content
ublogo print

University at Buffalo Libraries

University Archives

Erie County Almshouse & County Hospital

By the year 1907, the University was rapidly growing, but there was still no unified campus. When the University Council members learned by inside information that the County planned to relocate the Almshouse, they decided that the grounds between Main and Bailey streets would be a perfect location for a new University campus. In 1911 the first University fundraising campaign began under the Chancellorship of Charles Norton.

With the help of the citizens of Buffalo, the University raised enough to secure the new campus. After moving into their new campus they continued to use the dilapiated hospital buildings until Foster Hall, the first University building was completed in 1922. See an Introduction to the South Campus for more details about this transition.

Hayes Hall University Bookstore (exterior) University Bookstore (interior) Crosby Hall Wende Hall Townsend Hall