Louise Blanchard Bethune Hall
Former name: Buffalo Meter Company plant
Bethune Hall, 2917 Main St (at Hertel Avenue), was purchased on May 27, 1971 from Singer Company of Philadelphia for use by the University at Buffalo for the School of Architecture. The acquisition also included 5.25 acres of land with a railroad siding. After being left vacant for about eleven years, Bethune was sold in 2005 to Meyer Landau, a Brooklyn-based real estate investor who plans to rennovate the building for loft apartments, studios and offices.
Louise Blanchard Bethune (1856-1913)
Bethune was the first professional woman architect and woman fellow of the American Institute of Architecture (AIA). Bethune was buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery.
Bethune Hall's UB sign, April 2004
Building and Construction Information
Cost: UB purchase cost $472,000
Remodeling cost $250,000-300,000
Size: 100,000 sq. ft. after remodeling 60,000 sq. ft.
History and Chronology
- 1915 -- The Buffalo Meter Company plant is built
- 1958 -- American Meter of Philadelphia aquires the property for $5.25 million.
- 1971 -- (May 27) Univeristy at Buffalo purchases the Meter Company for $472,000 to house the Department of Architecture, the Art Department and certain portions of the Division of Continuing Education. The building is renamed Louise Blanchard Bethune Hall.
- 19?? -- The Department of Architecture and Public Planning moves to Hayes Hall. The Department of Art takes over Bethune Hall.
- 1994 -- Department of Art moves from Bethune Hall to the Center for the Arts on North Campus.
- 2000 -- Bethune Hall is sold to the city of Buffalo.
- 2005 -- (July) Meyer Landau, a Brooklyn-based real estate investor purchases the property for $384,000