Ella Conger Goodyear Residence Hall
Goodyear Hall was originally constructed as a women's residence hall in 1960. It continues to be used as a dormitory, although it is no longer exclusively for women.
Ella Conger Goodyear (1853-1940) was known for her philanthropies and interest in the arts; mother of Gen. Anson Conger Goodyear and grandmother of George F. Goodyear; gift of $500,000 for the building was made by the Goodyear family.
History and Chronology
- 1959 -- (October) UB gets approval for a $3 million loan for the building of a women's dormitory.
- 1960 -- (June) University receives $500,000 from the Goodyear family towards the University's building project.
- 1960 -- (October) Goodyear Hall is partially occupied by male residents after a strike delayed the building's completion.
- 1960 -- (October 29) Cornerstone ceremony.
- 1960 -- (November 19) Building completed and occupied by female residents.
- 1961 -- (May 6) Dedication of Goodyear Hall on UB Parents' Day.
- 1964 -- (September) An extension was opened.
Announcing the new Goodyear Resident Hall, 1959
Building and Construction InformationArchitects: James, Meadows & Howard
Contractors: Siegfried Construction Co.
Size: 170,227 sq. ft.