Former Name: Cooke Hall (1953-77)
Pritchard Hall is one of four matching dormitories (including MacDonald, Michael, and Schoellkopf halls) surrounding Kimball Tower that began UB's history as a residential college. It was originally built as a men's residence hall.
Mearl D. Pritchard (1900-1976) graduated from UB's School of Pharmacy in 1926. A pharmacist, prominent university alumnus and civic leader, he received the Samuel P. Capen Award in 1964.
Walter Platt Cooke (1869-1976) was a lawyer, financier and civic leader. He was the Chair of the University Council from 1920 to 1931 and received the Chancellor's Medal in 1926.
History and Chronology
- 1952 -- Construction started on Cooke, MacDonald, and Schoellkopf halls.
- 1952 -- (March 25) Groundbreaking ceremony
- 1952 -- (November 5) Cornerstone ceremony
- 1953 -- (November 15) Dedication of Cooke Hall
- 1977 -- Cooke Hall was renamed Pritchard Hall after its name was transferred to a building on the North Campus.
- 1992 -- (September) Pritchard Hall closes for the Fall semester because of the large amount of "no shows."
Building and Construction InformationArchitects: James & Meadows
Contractors: BAW Construction Co., Inc.
Cost: $1.5 million (for all three dormitory buildings - MacDonald, Schoellkopf, and Cooke.)
Size: 37,719 sq. ft.