Both the will of Dr. DeWitt H. Sherman and Mrs. Sherman's Trust Agreement provided for the erection of a new Medical School building to be known as "DeWitt Sherman Hall."
Dr. DeWitt Halsey Sherman (1864-1940). Professor of Pediatrics, 1909-1929, he developed the department of pediatrics at the University of Buffalo and guided the expansion of Children's Hospital. A graduate of the medical school, class of 1891, he left the bulk of his estate to the University of Buffalo Medical School, and with the bequest and generous gift of Mrs. Sherman, almost $500,000 was used in the construction of a new medical building.
Sherman Hall, circa early 1960s
History and Chronology
- 1958 -- (September) Completion
- 1958 -- (October) Cornerstone ceremony
- 1958 -- (October 18) Dedication of DeWitt Sherman Hall
Building and Construction InformationArchitects: James, Meadows & Howard
Size: 87,608 sq. ft.