Former Names: Hochstetter Hall
Wende Hall currently houses a number of centrally scheduled classrooms and satellite offices of a number of other University departments/offices. It stands on the site of the original Maternity Hospital from the Erie County Almshouse.
Grover William Wende (1866-1926), a prominent physician and graduate of University of Buffalo Medical School, who was also a Professor in the Medical School for many years. He served on the Surgeon General's Advisory Committee for the detection and treatment of venereal and skin diseases during World War I.
Ralph Hochstetter (1869-1955) was President of Cliff Petroleum Co. and Director of Manufacturers and Traders Trust Co.
History and Chronology
- 1955 -- (June 2) University Council decided to name a new building in honor of Ralph Hochstetter
- 1955 -- (July) Construction on a new physics building is started
- 1955 -- (October 8) Cornerstone ceremony
- 1956 -- (Fall) Completion of building
- 1956 -- (September 29) Ralph Hochstetter Hall is dedicated
- 1977 -- (January 26) SUNY Board of Trustees decides to rename Hochstetter Hall Grover W. Wende Hall. The name Hochstetter Hall will be transferred to a new building on the University's North Campus
Building and Construction InformationArchitects:James, Meadows & HowardCost: $750,000
Size: 17,627 sq. ft.; after addition in 1956, 54,040 sq. ft.