Endnote™ X6 for Mac Information
This software is licensed for current University at Buffalo affiliates ONLY.
On this page:
- How to Install EndNote X6 (New EndNote Users)
- How to Install EndNote X6 (Upgrading from an old version)
- Installation clean-up
- Getting better full text searches
- Activating additional EndNote X6 features
- Tutorials and Training
Endnote System and Hardware requirements are listed on the Endnote website.
- Click here to download the installation disc image (mac-EndNoteX6_10042012.dmg)
- Open the disc image
- Quit Microsoft Word and quit all web browsers. You must quit the applications, not merely close application windows.
- Drag the EndNote X6 folder to the Applications folder (see Figure 1)
If you stored custom EndNote library files, connection files, or import filters within the EndNote X5 folder in the Applications folder you should copy or move your files to another location, such as Documents. Then, drag your old EndNote X5 folder from the Applications folder to the Trash. After installing EndNote X6, return these files to their respective locations in the EndNote X6 folder in the Applications folder.
RECOMMENDED FILE LOCATIONS
We recommend that you store your EndNote Library files in either of these locations:
- Documents folder
Library files stored in the documents folder are available to the current user.
- EndNote X6 folder in the Applications Folder
Library files stored here are available for all user accounts on a Mac that has been configured for multiple users. Remember to copy or move these files before upgrading to a newer version of EndNote or when removing EndNote X6 from your Mac.
- Eject the volume EndNote X6 Installer
- Drag mac-EndNoteX6_10042012.dmg disc image to the trash
- Empty the trash
To greatly improve the success rate of the Find Full-Text feature, while EndNote is running:
- Click on Edit: Preferences. Select "Find Full-text" item in left-hand column.
- Check "PubMed LinkOut" boxes (all check boxes should now be checked)
- Insert the following URL into BOTH the "OpenURL Path" and the "Authenticate with: URL" text box: http://ll3md4hy6n.search.serialssolutions.com
The standard install of EndNote X6 activates only some of EndNote’s features. To turn all EndNote X6 features, do the following:
- Quit Microsoft Word and quit all web browsers. You must quit the applications, not merely close open application windows.
- Open EndNote X6 application
- From the EndNote menu choose Customizer (see Figure 2)
- In the Customizer dialog, be sure each feature’s checkbox is checked
- Click the Next button in each step in the dialog to complete the installation
Comprehensive video tutorials and training is available at the EndNote web site.