Library Skills Workbook
The Workbook is designed to help UB undergraduates develop their library research skills. It is a General Education requirement for all UB undergraduate students, including transfer students. All undergraduate students are required to complete it during their first year of study at UB.
Periodically, the Workbook is redesigned, and at that time incomplete attempts are cleared. If you had begun but not completed the Workbook before that date, you will need to re-enroll and begin again.
You may access your Workbook score at any time by logging into the Library Skills Workbook on UBLearns and clicking on "My Scores" from the main left navigational menu. Within 48 business hours of completing and passing the Workbook, your HUB Academic Advising Report will be updated to indicate that you successfully completed it. See below for instructions on printing your HUB Academic Advising Report. Please feel free to send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We do advise that you use your personal computer or tablet to complete the Workbook, rather than your mobile phone, since directions within the questions will not apply to the Libraries' mobile web site.
We now offer 6 discipline-specific versions of the Workbook. Each of these are optional, alternate versions of the Workbook. Any UB student may choose to complete one of these versions or the general version addressed above; any one of them will fulfill the requirement. Students should complete only one version. The 6 discipline-specific versions are: Architecture, Business & Management, Engineering, Health Sciences, History and Music.
How to enroll in the Library Skills Workbook:
- Go to UBlearns to get started.
- Click on User Login. Enter your UBITName and Password.
- Click on the Courses tab on top.
- Enter Library Skills Workbook in the Course Search box in the upper left corner and click Go.
- Click the small drop down box arrow, and then Enroll, to the right of the Course ID listed as:
- Library Skills Workbook, OR
- Library Skills Workbook - Architecture Version, OR
- Library Skills Workbook - Business & Management Version, OR
- Library Skills Workbook - Engineering Version, OR
- Library Skills Workbook - Health Sciences Version, OR
- Library Skills Workbook - History Version, OR
- Library Skills Workbook - Music Version.
- Click Submit and then click OK. This completes the enrollment process.
You may print your HUB Academic Advising Report to demonstrate to your instructor that you have passed the Workbook (access HUB via MyUB; a full tutorial is available here.). On your Academic Advising Report, in the General Education section, you will see Library Skills Workbook with an indication of “ Satisfied” or “Not Satisfied.” Your Academic Advising Report will reflect that you have satisfied the requirement within 48 business hours of completion.
To print your Academic Advising Report:
1. Go into MYUB; click the link HUB Student Center.
2. Under the wide, blue bar at the top labeled Academics, click on the link My Academics.
3. On the next page, click the link View My Advisement Report
4. Up at the top of your report, select view report as PDF. This will open a new box with a PDF version of your report. Select the Print icon in the new box to print your report.
6. Look in the General Education section to see Library Skills Workbook, and the "Satisfied" indication.
"The test was very concise for the amount of information that it contained."
"I felt that it showed very important concepts and got information across quickly and easily."
"I really appreciated doing this workbook. It really opened my eyes and got me familiar with how my work will be when I enter college. It is nice that time is taken to prepare this workbook and distribute it to the students for us to all learn from and benefit."
"Good idea making this a requirement for undergrads, I would continue doing this for future students."
"This is a very good idea as a requirement for every student, because no matter what their field of study may be, the information obtained in the library skills workbook is useful to everyone."
"I did not want to take this but at the end it was very useful!"
"I liked the opportunity to choose an engineering oriented version."
For further information: