Instructions for Remote Users
All Online UB Course Reserve files are PDF (Portable Document Format) files, which may be viewed using Adobe Acrobat software. Acrobat allows the handling of a variety of types of materials including those containing graphs, charts, and mathematical symbols as well as print and images.
Recomended Hardware and Software
To view online UB course reserve documents, you will need:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 5.0 or above
- A copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader
- A connection to the UB Course Reserve Material page.
- Your UBITName & password.
You will need to provide authentication that you are currently affliated with the University at Buffalo. You will be prompted, after selecting the full-text document, to provide your UBITName & password.
Printing and Downloading
Factors to consider which will affect the downloading and printing time:
- The size of the file.
- The type of network connection with which you are working
For example, a broadband cable internet connection will deliver material more quickly than will a dial-up modem connection.
- The speed of the computer on which you are working.
- The type and memory of the printer you are using.
DeskJets and DeskWriters are extremely slow to print scanned or bitmapped files. Try to use a laser printer for these files.
Before you print:
Consider downloading the file to a disk for later use.
How to download:
- Click on File at the top of your browser
- Select Save As in the pull down menu
- Name the file and select the path as to where you want the file saved
Note: These files may be large and take quite some time to download.