Art in the Health Sciences Library Exhibit No.3:
"The Tools of Medicine"
"The Tools of Medicine" exhibit, which opened on November 19, 2003, features images of selected instruments contained in the the Edgar R. McGuire Historical Medical Instrument Collection. The exhibit features 6 enlarged, framed images mounted in the main staircase area on the first floor of HSL.
Made possible through the generous support of the Friends of the Health Sciences Library and the Medical Historical Society, the exhibit is the third of a series developed by the Health Sciences Art and Media Group (HSAMG) which includes staff from HSL and iMedia, a unit of Academic Services at UB.
The Historical Medical Instrument Collection is a remarkable assemblage of instruments and artifacts from medicine, surgery, dentistry, pharmacy, and nursing, dates from the Roman period to the 20th century. Among the items are microscopes, surgical and forensic instruments, anatomical models, a leech jar and cage, bleeding cups, and dental instruments. Established in 1985 by Mrs. Annette Cravens in memory of her father, the prominent surgeon Dr. Edgar Robinson McGuire, the collection vividly brings to life the history and evolution of the health sciences.
Dr. McGuire graduated from the University of Buffalo Medical School in 1900. He succeeded Dr. Roswell Park as chairman of the Department of Surgery at the University in 1917 and held the position until his death in 1931. In 2002, Mrs. Cravens permanently donated the portion of theCollection that had previously been on loan to the University.
The talented iMedia staff (Fred Kwiecien, Donald Trainor, Monica Carter, and Jim Ulrich) selected and photographed 6 instruments from the Historical Medical Instrument Collection to create The Tools of Medicine exhibit. The images were enlarged and framed for display in the natural gallery area of the main staircase between the 1st and 2nd floors.
Please visit iMedia.buffalo.edu/art/ to view items for sale from the first Art in the Library inititiave,
19th Century Botanicals.
For more information, please contact Linda Lohr, Manager, at 839-3900 x136.