The Circulation desk at the Health Sciences Library is located directly to the left as you enter the building. Circulation services are available until fifteen minutes before closing.
- Library Cards
- Overdues & Fines
- Lost Materials & Replacement Charges
- HSL Reserve Material Policy
- Study Rooms
- Lost & Found
Non-UB borrowers who meet eligibility requirements must obtain a either a Courtesy Borrower Card or a Library Workstation Access Card.
- Audiovisuals - 7 days
- Books - 28 days
- Periodicals - Library Use Only
- Reference Books - Library Use Only
- Reserve Materials - 2 Hours Library Use Only
- History of Medicine Collection - Consult History of Medicine Librarian
- PLEASE NOTE
- All loaned items are subject to immediate recall.
- Due dates subject to change if item is recalled.
(Formerly Called "Hold")
If an item you need is checked out, you may recall the item by following these steps using the RECALL feature in the Libraries' Catalog:
- Search for the book you need
- Click on the title
- Click on AVAILABILITY
- Click on the RECALL link located to the left of the description box
- You will be prompted to log in to My Library Card if you are not already logged in.
- Choose the library where you would like to pick up the book from the pull down menu.
- Click on GO to place the recall
A message will be sent to the borrower that the item is needed and it must be returned in 7 days. You will be notified by email (or US Mail, if there is no valid email) when the item has been returned and is being held for you. All circulating materials are subject to immediate recall if they are needed for Reserve.
PLEASE NOTE: You may use the My Library Card feature for renewals, fines, fees, recalls and requests.
Unless items are overdue or have been requested by other patrons, all circulating materials may be renewed an unlimited number of times by UB patrons only in the following ways:
- In person at the Circulation Desk.
To renew in person, bring in books or list of book barcodes with your UB Card.
- By mail or Fax. (Fax no. 829-2211)
- By UB Libraries' electronic renewal form
- PLEASE NOTE : Phone Renewals Are
Library materials may be returned to the any UB library Circulation desk, or campus book drops. Recalls, reserve, or Interlibrary Loans must be returned directly to the Library from which they were borrowed.
It is incumbent upon the borrower to provide proof of return of library material by obtaining a receipt. Receipts will be issued by request.
Overdues & Fines
As a courtesy, reminder notices will be sent via e-mail 3 days before the item is due for Non-Reserve material.
UB students and most Special Borrowers will be fined for items returned late. Fines will accrue while the Libraries are closed. In addition to fines, all borrowers may be subject to replacement charges for non-returned materials.
- Non-Reserve items - 50 cents per day per item to a maximum of $10 per item.
- Reserve items - 5 cents per minute per item to a maximum of
$20 per item.
Four coin operated copiers are available - two on the first floor and two on the second floor - for copying at 10 cents per copy. These machines accept coins, single dollar bills or venda-cards. Venda-cards can be puchased at the Venda-card machines for $1.00 (card itself cost 60 cents, with starting credit of 40 cents) and can be encoded up to $99 by adding $1, $5 or $10 dollar bills.
Borrowers who have lost library materials will be charged for their replacement. A $25.00 processing fee is charged in addition to the replacement price of the item and any overdue fines if applicable. Replacement charges may be cancelled if lost items are returned, however processing fees will still be charged.
HSL Reserve Material Policy
Go directly to the Course Reserve Material page
POLICY FOR PLACING MATERIALS ON RESERVE
- When possible, materials should be brought to the Library before the start of a semester. Reserve lists will be processed in the order in which they are received.
- The size of a reserve should be limited to 50 items or less per course.
- "Fair use" will be observed in the photocopying of copyrighted material for reserve. In general, this means one copy of an article, book chapter, map, or chart. The instructor provides the copies of articles to be placed on reserve.
- Each instructor is responsible for obtaining permission from an author or publisher for multiple copies of copyrighted materials to be placed on reserve.
- Photocopies of copyrighted material should be on reserve for only one semester. Each instructor is responsible for obtaining permission from the author or publisher for items to remain on reserve longer.
- Students will be allowed to check out no more than three(3) reserve items at any one time.
- A fine of 5 cents per minute is charged on overdue reserve materials. Daily reserves are charged $1.00 per day.
- While the library staff will make every effort to safeguard material placed on reserve, the Library cannot assume liability for the damage or loss of materials from an instructor's personal property.
- AVAILABLE LOAN PERIODS FOR RESERVE MATERIALS: 2 hours for use only in the Library
Group and Individual Study Rooms are available at the Health Sciences Library for use by faculty, staff, and students. A minumum of two patrons constitutes a group and two people must present UB cards. Group study rooms must be signed out at the Circulation Desk or at the Digital Media Resources Center Desk.
Lost & Found
Lost & Found is located in the Circulation Dept.
Check there for any personal items you may have left in the library or contact the Lost & Found Dept. at the Public Safety Office (645-2222).