were five bandstands on the grounds of the Pan-American Exposition. These
included the Plaza bandstand, north of the Electric Tower, the East and
West bandstands in the Esplanade near the Temple of Music, the Casino
bandstand on the shore of the lake close to where the Casino building
stands today, and another bandstand on the lake near what is now the Albright-Knox
Art Gallery. The heavy schedule of band performances kept these bandstands
in almost constant use throughout the Exposition. Return to the introduction
page to see a map of the bandstand locations.
bandstands at the Pan-American were designed by J.M. Lyall of New
York. He, like many of the young, fledgling architects employed
at the Exposition, was assigned the responsibility of designing
minor constructions. A recent graduate of the Ecole de Beaux-Arts,
Lyall and his "untried" colleagues hoped that their work
at the Exposition would gain them notice. Lyall's bandstands were
"circular pavilions roofed over in shell-like fashion and reminiscent
of the fantastic effects achieved in the larger structures built
at the the Paris Exposition in 1900. Completely in keeping with
the festival nature of the Pan-American, the unassuming bandstands
expressed more immediately the gaiety of a temporary city than the
more developed, larger buildings."1
Bandstands: East and West
of the Esplanade from the Electric Tower
Casino bandstand with the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in background.
This postcard scene is probably dated between 1904 and 1910.
1. Joann Marie Thompson.
The Art and Architecture of the Pan-American Exposition, Buffalo, New
York, 1901. Unpublished dissertation, Rutgers University, The State
University of New Jersey, 1980. pp. 75-76.
Return to Music and Musicians