Alumni & Visitor Support
How do I change my password?
- You can change your password by visiting the following URL after you get your new Library User Name: https://ldap.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/libpass.pl
- Please remember your password since we cannot perform password resets. If your password is forgotten, you will need to open a new guest account.
- Please see Library Circulation Desk staff for assistance.
How to borrow materials from the University Libraries?
- Purchase a lifetime membership in the U.B. Alumni Association. Details may be found on the UB Alumni Association site. Bring your UB Alumni Card to any circulation desk and a blue courtesy card will be issued to you.
- Join the Friends of the University Libraries Borrower Program. Friends of the University Libraries must obtain their borrowing card through the University Libraries' Billing Office, Room 118, Silverman Library, Capen Hall, telephone: (716) 645-5950.
What are the borrowing policies?
- Alumni with borrowing privileges may borrow circulating materials for 4 weeks. Audiovisual materials circulate for 10 days.
- Materials may be renewed three times online on or before the date due at My Account using your libname and password.
- Up to 25 items may be borrowed at one time.
- All materials are subject to recall.
Library Overdue and Fine Notices
- There are different overdue fine rates for different categories of materials. Fines for regularly circulating materials accrue at a rate of $.50 per day, per item. Maximum fine per item is $10.00.
- Alumni borrowers with unpaid overdue fines are unable to borrow or renew library materials.
- As a courtesy, alumni will be reminded of the due date for circulating materials via email (or, in the absence of an email account, US mail) three days before an item is due. Changes in postal and e-mail addresses should be report at any circulation desk.
- Additional reminders will be sent one and eight days after the due date.
- At 20 days past the due date, you will be billed a fee for a lost item and charged appropriately.
- The My Account feature on the libraries website can be used to view all library fines.
- Any questions concerning fines or replacement of lost items should be directed to University Libraries' Billing Office, Room 118, Silverman Library, Capen Hall, telephone (716) 645-5950
- Please note that the borrower is responsible for accumulated overdue fines whether or not the overdue notice is received.
Access to Databases
- Your blue courtesy card provides in-library access to article databases and electronic journals.
- Alumni who are not eligible for a blue courtesy card may obtain a yellow workstation access card which will allow access to the Internet on computer workstations located in the libraries.
- Please note: Off-campus access to most electronic resources is not available to any Alumni due to licensing restrictions. However, you may find many useful web-based resources on our Web Reference Sources page.
- If you are a New York State resident, you can access databases freely through the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library, the New York State Library's NOVELNY, and the New York Public Library. See Off-campus Access to Databases for NewYork State Residents.