What is a proxy card?
A proxy card allows a person (proxy) to borrow materials on behalf of a UB faculty or staff member (sponsor). Although the proxy carries the card, the sponsor is responsible for all materials borrowed on the card.
Who is eligible to appoint a proxy?
- UB faculty and staff members
- Individuals registered with the UB Office Accessibility Services. See the Libraries' help page on Services for Patrons with Disabilities for more information.
How do I appoint a proxy?
- Sponsor’s name
- Sponsor’s UB Library Card barcode number (begins with 29072; found on lower right corner)
- Sponsor’s department
- Sponsor’s campus or home address
- Sponsor’s e-mail address
- Sponsor’s telephone number
- Proxy’s name
- Proxy’s length of appointment
Who receives the proxy card?
The proxy card will be issued to the designated proxy and must be signed by the proxy. The proxy must show photo ID when using the card. Proxy cards will be sent to the sponsor for distribution to his/her proxy borrowers.
Can a sponsor see what a proxy has checked out?
Faculty and staff members (sponsors) may check the status of materials borrowed on proxy cards by accessing his/her library account using MyLibrary Card. Materials checked out by a proxy will be listed under loans.
Does the proxy card work for materials requested through Interlibrary Loan?
No, the proxy card does not work for Interlibrary Loans. Please contact the ILL Office at 716 645-2812 if you need assistance with using a proxy to request materials through ILL.
Where can I get more information?
Ask at any University Libraries' Circulation Desk.
Related Help Pages
- Circulation Services for UB Faculty and Staff
- Library Fines Policy
- Services for Patrons with Disabilities
Last Update: June 2013