Located in the lower level of the Health Sciences Library, the MC (Multimedia Center) is comprised of:
- over 2,500 health sciences audiovisual titles (check out our list of New Titles)
- 11 Cybrary stations for students, faculty, and staff
- 8 group rooms equipped with video playback equipment, whiteboards, Wi-Fi Networks and OpenPort connections (NOTE: See room use policy)
- a designated Quiet Study Area
- The Multimedia Development Lab (aka "The Lab"--open to UB faculty, staff, and students)
- a microfilm and microfiche reader/printer
- on-site VHS, DVD, CD-ROM viewing
- home of the MIR (Multimedia Instruction Room - a 10 workstation computer training room for UB Libraries faculty and staff- contact MC staff for reservations)
Locating Media TitlesUsing the Catalog Advanced Search, in the "Limit To" pull down menu, select HSL Media Resources Center to search for VHS and DVD videos in the HSL Multimedia Center collection.
The UB Libraries also offers Streaming Audio and Videos for use on campus or off campus with a valid UB IT account. For more information, please visit our UB Libraries Streaming Videos Collection page.
Materials from the Multimedia Center collection may be borrowed for 10 days. Items on Course Reserve are loaned for 2 hours.
UB faculty members can reserve media items from our collection through the Booking option in the catalog. Booked items requires 3 business days to be delivery to your local library or campus address.
A valid UB CARD is required to borrow any materials from the MC. Local non UB borrowers who meet eligibility requirements must obtain a University Libraries Special Borrowers Card and are under special restrictions. Fines for overdue materials accrue at the same rate as books $0.50 cents per day per item for regular circulating materials, and $0.05 cents per minute per item for reserve items, both to a limit of 20 dollars. Materials may be renewed online, by fax (829-2211), mail and in person. A list of item barcodes and your UB card barcode (29072 #) are required.
Institutions wishing to borrow media materials should contact their local library's interlibrary loan department. There is a charge for loan of AV Materials.
Room Use Policy
The 8 viewing rooms in the Multimedia Center are signed out at the MC Circulation Desk with a valid UB Card.
Priorities for room use:
- 1st Priority - groups viewing AV programs
- 2nd Priority - individuals viewing AV programs
- 3rd Priority - groups studying
- 4th Priority - individuals studying
***YOU MAY BE ASKED TO LEAVE A ROOM TO ACCOMMODATE A HIGHER PRIORITY GROUP. ***
There is no time limit on room use, nor are reservations for rooms accepted. Room 7 holds a larger group. Smaller groups in Room 7 may be asked to leave or change rooms to accommodate a larger group.
The Multimedia Development Lab is a fully equipped computer room with the latest media editing software and hardware for any of your classroom or research projects. Putting together your thesis, publishing an article, or just creating a PowerPoint presentation, the lab has everything you need. HSL Multimedia Center supports the use and creation of instructional resources on the South Campus.
- 3 PC
- 2 Mac G4
- 2 Microtek Scanners (one large format x-ray enabled scanner)
- 1 Nikon Slide Scanner
Video & Image editing
- Adobe digital imaging suite
- Software to covert/digitize DVD or VHS
Graphic & Text
- Acrobat Professional
- Omni Page Pro
Please contact Lori Widzinski (829-5744) or Christopher Cheung (829-5745) for room availability
*The Lab is for classroom or research projects only. For personal projects, please use the scanning station in HSL's first floor print room.
Head, Computing and Multimedia Services
Educational Technology Associate
MC Circulation Desk
Fax: (716) 829-2211