Skip to Content
ublogo print

University at Buffalo Libraries

University Archives

Lockwood Memorial Library


Lockwood Memorial Library is the university’s premier research library supporting the research, teaching and learning needs of UB’s faculty, students and staff and the general public. Originally designed as a graduate library for social sciences and humanities, Lockwood now supports students and faculty in the Arts & Sciences, Education, Engineering & Applied Sciences, Management and Social Work. The library is also a U.S. Government Documents depository. Special collections in Lockwood include the Polish Room, Science & Engineering Information Center, Map Collection, East Asian Collection, International Leisure Reading Collection and Juvenile Collection.


Namesake

When the graduate library for the social sciences and the humanities was designed for the new campus in Amherst, the Lockwood Memorial Library name was transferred to the new building in recognition of the original 1929 gift of $500,000 from Thomas B. Lockwood (1873-1947) and Marion Birge Lockwood (1881-1932) for the construction of the original Lockwood Memorial Library in memory of their in memory of their fathers, Daniel N. Lockwood and George K. Birge.


History and Chronology

  • 1978 -- (June 12) Opened
  • 1979 -- (April 19) Dedication
  • 2015 -- Science & Engineering Information Center moved to Lockwood

Building and Construction Information

Architects: Harry Weese & Associates of Chicago / Anthony Carlino & Associates of Buffalo
Cost: $9,374,000
Size: 237,315 sq. ft.