Skip to Content
ublogo print

University at Buffalo Libraries

University Archives

Lillias M. MacDonald Residence Hall

MacDonald Hall is one of four matching dormitories (including Pritchard/Cooke, Michael, and Schoellkopf Halls) surrounding Kimball Tower that began UB's history as a residential college. It was originally built as a women's residence hall.


Namesake:

Lillias M. MacDonald (1885-1961) was the University of Buffalo's first Dean of Women (1922-1952), established the Physical Education program, and was one of the largest advocates for establishing residence halls.

See MacDonald's biography in the Women's Work: a tribute to the women who make UB work exhibit


History and Chronology

  • 1952 -- Construction on building started on Cooke, MacDonald, and Schoellkopf halls.
  • 1952 -- (March 25) Groundbreaking ceremony
  • 1952 -- (November 5) Cornerstone ceremony
  • 1953 -- Building became the Faculty Club
  • 1953 -- (February 1) Completion of MacDonald Residence Hall
  • 1953 -- (November 15) Dedication

Building and Construction Information

Architects: James & Meadows
Contractors: BAW Construction Co., Inc.
Cost: $1.5 million (for all three dormitory buildings - MacDonald, Schoellkopf, and Cooke.)