Enhanced Shipping List Service
Welcome to the Enhanced Shipping List Service, brought to you through a cooperative agreement between the State University of New York at Buffalo and the|
Federal Depository Library Program.
Label Information and Instructions
In order to use the inclusion checker/label program, you need to have the following:
- Have the label programs downloaded
- Have your current inclusion file downloaded and prepared
- Download the shipping list you want to have processed
This is how you do it:
- Create a directory called docs, like this:
- C:\>md docs
- Download the following programs to the docs directory:
There are two ways to get an updated inclusion list, but first do the following:
- If you use the DOS prompt, type: copy myitems.txt myitemsold.txt
- If you use Windows Explorer, copy your "MYITEMS.TXT" file and paste it, to create a backup copy, just in case you run into a problem with the steps below
Then, do one of the following:
- One method is to use the DSIMS site.
- The user name is your depository number and the password is your depository's internal password. Your depository coordinator will know both.
- The selection profile data in DSIMS can be downloaded in a CSV file. At the time I write this, there are 3 columns (item number, status, and date active).
- If you have any questions on DSIMS, there is a tutorial available on the FDLP Desktop.
- Once you logon, you can click "Selection Profile" in the upper left and download your list as csv
- The method below won't require a password
- Go to the Item Lister site
- Select Data Output Type: "Selections in Rows and Columns"
- Enter your Depository Library Number
- Click "Submit"
- Click "Download CSV" button
- Click "Open"
- If you're given a choice, choose to open the file with Excel
- Highlight the first column
- Copy into a new Notepad file
- Highlight and delete the top rows, so the first line in the file is the first item number in your inclusion list
- Do a Find/Replace, searching for a single quote ( ' ) and Replace All
- You should be left with a single column of item numbers
- Save as c:\docs\myitems.txt
You might want to do this every quarter, as your inclusions change. You can also edit the file myitems.txt whenever you make a change to your profile.
- Get on the World Wide Web
- Open the URL: http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/units/cts/acq/gpo/
- Select Paper, Electronic, or Separate in the Label section of the Shipping List Navigator box.
- Select the shipping list you want.
- Save it as c:\docs\sudoc.txt. If/when asked if you want to overwrite the existing file with that name, say yes.
How to Run the Program
- Be sure your printer is online and loaded with labels. Thin Labels (3 1/2" x 7/16") work well.
- Get into the docs directory, like this:
- Enter the word docs
- Follow the instructions.
- When the file of SuDoc numbers appears, delete the word EXCLUDED by using the delete key (Ctrl/Y), then save the file and exit.
Send comments about this service to me
Page last updated: March 5, 2013