About the Library
The Lockwood Memorial Library, named after Thomas B. Lockwood, is located on the University at Buffalo North Campus. The library provides services, collections and librarian support to students and faculty in Arts & Sciences, Education, Management and Social Work.
Thomas B. Lockwood
Thomas B. Lockwood (1873-1947) was one of Buffalo's most distinguished citizens in the first half of the 20th century. He was an attorney and businessman as well as philanthropist and bibliophile. In 1929, he and his wife, Marion Birge Lockwood, donated $500,000 to construct the University at Buffalo's original Lockwood Memorial Library.
In the spring of 1935, the library was moved to the newly constructed Lockwood Memorial Library building. Designed by noted Buffalo architect E.B. Green and built in classic Georgian architectural style, the building was an elegant, four-story structure located at the heart of the South Campus.
In addition to providing funds for the building, Lockwood also donated his personal collection of rare books, establishing an impressive foundation for the new library.
On April 19, 1979, the new Lockwood Memorial Library was officially opened. Designed for the new campus in Amherst, the Lockwood Memorial Library name was to be placed on the new library in recognition of the original endowment established by Mr. Lockwood.
The original Lockwood Memorial Library, renamed Charles D. Abbott Hall / Health Sciences Library, was renovated and enlarged in 1983-1985.