City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods
- General Information
- Neighborhoods Map (interactive full-size)
- List of Neighborhoods
- Map Key
- Related Sites
Welcome to the city of Buffalo Neighborhoods Map. The "City of good neighbors" consists of thirty-two neighborhoods varying in size, function, and historic significance. These current neighborhoods are described by location within the city, community associations, and cultural and ethnic history. Additional features of this page include links to related sites and a selected bibliography of source materials used in compiling the Neighborhoods Map website. For additional reference in finding streets, see the Buffalo Street Map.
List of Buffalo Neighborhoods
- A - Allentown
- BL - Bailey-Lovejoy
- BR - Black Rock
- CP - Central Park
- C - Cold Springs
- DD - Delaware District
- D - Downtown
- ES - East Side
- E - Elmwood Strip
- FL - Fillmore-Leroy
- FW - First Ward
- FB - Fruit Belt
- H - Hamlin Park
- HH - Hospital Hill
- HP - Humboldt Park
- K - Kaisertown
- KE - Kensington
- KH - Kensington Heights
- LWS - Lower West Side
- MP - Masten Park
- NB - North Buffalo
- NP - North Park
- P - Parkside
- PO - Polonia
- R - Riverside
- S - Schiller Park
- SB - South Buffalo
- UD - University District
- UH - University Heights
- V - Vernon Triangle
- WS - West Side
- W - Willert Park
This page is updated regularly and will include neighborhood boundaries, more photos, more links, and additional data.
If you live in a neighborhood and have photos or other materials that you can share, we would be willing to consider them for addition to this site (credit for photos will be given). Contact the Map Librarian.
The following sources were consulted in creating this website:
- American Atlas Company. Atlas of the City of Buffalo, New York. (NY: American Atlas Company, 1894 [i.e. 1895])
- Beveridge, Charles E. The Master List of Design Projects of the Olmsted
Firm, 1857-1950. (Washington, DC: National Association for Olmsted Parks in conjunction with the Massachusetts Association for Olmsted Parks, c.1987)
- Buffalo Architecture: a guide. (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, c.1981)
- Cram, George F. Company. A descriptive review of the commercial,
industrial, agricultural, historical development of the state of
New York, with special charts, detail maps and profuse half tone
illustrations from all parts of the Empire state. (Chicago, NY: G.F. Cram, [c.1914])
- Geological Survey (US). Buffalo quadrangle, New York. (Map). (Washington, DC: The Survey, 1948).
- Geological Survey (US). New York. Erie County. Buffalo Quadrangle. (Map). (Washington, DC: The Survey, 1901).
- Goldman, Mark. City on the Lake: the challenge of change in Buffalo,
New York. (Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books, 1990).
- Goldman, Mark. High Hopes: the rise and decline of Buffalo, New York. (Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, c.1983)
- Kowsky, Francis R., editor. The Best Planned City: the Olmsted legacy
in Buffalo. (Buffalo, NY: Buffalo State College Foundation, 1991)
- The National Register of Historic Places. (Washington, DC: National Parks Service, 1969- )
- Simon, Jacqueline C. "Changes in the residential neighborhood Parkside,
Buffalo, NY, 1925-1950." (Master's Thesis, SUNY University at Buffalo, 1989)
In addition, materials produced in English 201 (M.E. Schindler) are being incorporated into neighborhood pages from course projects (2010- ). Students are credited on pages relating to their project contributions.
Buffalo, New York Metropolitan Area
- Buffalo in Maps. Maps, charts, aerial photos, GIS, and other map resources at UB and on the Internet.
- Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society Research Library. Find historic materials in all formats. Finding guides and resource files available.
- Buffalo Architectural Index. Database listing "over 1,000 buildings & their architects.
- Buffalo Public Schools. Complete listing of schools, addresses, programs, photos, and other information.
- Buffalo Catholic Schools (WNY Catholic Schools website). Search for schools in the region.
- City of Buffalo Official Website.
- Churches in Buffalo. Beautiful photographs of many (very many) churches in the Buffalo area. Search by name.
- Schools of Buffalo. By the author/photographer of the Churches in Buffalo site (above). Beautiful photographs of many (very many) schools in the Buffalo area. Search by name.
- Forgotten Buffalo. Great emphasis on Buffalo Neighborhoods and their history. Provides tour info and stories, etc.
- History of the City of Buffalo and Erie County: with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of its Prominent Men and Pioneers, in Two Volumes. Edited by H. Perry Smith. Syracuse, NY: D. Mason & Co., Publishers, 1884. Online facsimile of the book.
- Our Buffalo. Graphic map showing some of the neighborhoods.
- Poorhouses in Erie County. Data and references.
- Researching Buffalo History. Guide to finding books, articles, and other materials on Buffalo, New York.
- List of Street Name Changes in Buffalo. Brief listing of old names and new names.
- 1894 City of Buffalo Atlas. Property maps of the city. Full-color digital version of the original maps with good resolution (may not work with all browsers).
- Buffalo, New York 1869 City Directory. The residential section of the 1869 Buffalo city directory. Locate persons by name and then view a facsimile of the page the name is on.
- Digital Ortho Photo mosaic of the Greater Buffalo Area. Large image showing the entire metropolitan area.
- The Buffalo History Works
- UB Regional Institute. Resources on city development and activity.
Buffalo Parks, Olmsted Works and Activities
- Buffalo Parks System Map, 1914. Shows Olmsted's designs.
- Olmsted Parks in Buffalo, New York
- Cazenovia Park
- Delaware Park
- Front Park
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Park
- Riverside Park
- Parkways: Lincoln, Bidwell, Chapin, Richmond, Porter, Red Jacket, McKinley.
- Circles: Soldiers, Gates, Colonial, Ferry, Symphony, McClellan, McKinley.
- Preservation Buffalo Niagara (PBN) dedicated to fostering historic preservation in the Buffalo Niagara region, serving seven counties in Western New York.
- Buffalo's Great Planners and Designers. Brief histories and good descriptions of planners and their works. Includes: E.B. Green, Joseph Ellicott, Frederick Law Olmsted's Buffalo parks, and H. H. Richardson.
Other Great Buffalo Neighborhood-Related Sites
- Buffalo as an Architectural Museum. Lists websites of existing buildings in Metro Buffalo, including Erie and Niagara Counties in New York State. Has many illustrations and photos.
- Buffalo in Bloom. Great site on flowers and plants that beautify Buffalo. Also great for emphasis on neighborhoods.
- Buffalo, New York History. Photographs, drawings, maps, articles; wide variety of topics.
- Buffalo History Research Guide (UB guide). How to find materials on Buffalo history. Resources, including newspapers, magazines, books, and regional online sites.
- Buffalo Spree magazine. Includes articles and resources on neighborhood activities, history, and culture.
- Built in Buffalo: How to Research Local Architecture. Great starting place for studying Buffalo's rich architectural heritage.
- Guide to Buffalo English. Partly entertaining, this page does provide a good summary of the "accent" of Buffalonians.
- Erie Canal website. The Canal had a big part to play in Buffalo history and the old route is now covered beneath the city along the Niagara River.
- Preservation Resources for Buffalo and Erie County. List of local, regional, state, and national preservation programs and agencies.
- Fun Stuff @ Buffalo and WNY. Find things to do, places to see, in the region.
- Visit Buffalo/Niagara page. Information and data on variety of Buffalo area sights and neighborhood activities.
- Tifft Nature Preserve. Just beyond the Buffalo boundaries but an important site in the effort to revive the city.
Buffalo and Western New York Region
- Buffalo–Niagara Falls Metropolitan Area (Wikipedia). Links to data and text on towns and villages in Erie and Niagara Counties.
- Fun Stuff @ Buffalo and WNY. Find things to do, places to see, in the region.
- Western New York 211. Help find health services in eight WNY counties.
- New York State Thruway Authority maps. Includes detailed map and listing of Buffalo area exits, tolls, etc.
- WNY Maps. UB Map Collection maps, charts, aerial and satellite photos, and online maps of Western New York, including Erie, Niagara, and other local counties.
- Boston: A City of Neighborhoods. From full city map, click on each neighborhood to obtain a specific map.
- Boston Redevelopment Authority Neighborhoods Maps. No complete map but each neighborhood is contained in a pdf that can be enlarged.