This Buffalo neighborhood centers on Grant Street and is one of the largest neighborhoods by area in the city. The West Side runs west from Elmwood Avenue to Lake Erie and north from Porter Avenue to Buffalo State College.
- Lafayette High School (PS 204), 370 Lafayette Avenue
- Grover Cleveland High School (PS 202), 110 14th Street
- West Side N.H.S., 359 Connecticut Avenue
- West Side Community Services, 161 Vermont Avenue.
The West Side is home to many important buildings. Among them is H.H. Richardson's Buffalo Psychiatric Center which is set amidst a parklike setting designed by F.L. Olmsted.
Internationally acclaimed for its outstanding acoustical design, Kleinhans Music Hall is home to the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra.
Other landmarks in the area include: the Peace Bridge (connecting Buffalo to Fort Erie, Ontario); the Connecticut Street Armory; and Trinity Episcopal Church (noted for its outstanding LaFarge and Tiffany stained glass windows).
Buffalo Psychiatric Center (1870-1896) - (formerly Buffalo State Hospital) - Henry Hobson Richardson, architect
Lafayette High School
An interesting transportation pattern that has survived thruway construction are part of the F.L. Olmsted-designed Parkway. Bidwell Parkway, which is two hundred feet wide, runs westward to a circle at Richmond Avenue. It continues via Massachusetts and Porter Avenues to Front Park.
This neighborhood has a diverse population today including most recently Asian and Southeast Asian residents. Much of the neighborhood has been Italian-American for decades and the Annunciation and Holy Angels Roman Catholic Churches are cultural institutions.