Buffalo, New York in Maps, Charts, and Images
- In the UB Map Collection
- Maps of Buffalo
- Maps Online
- Aerial & Satelllite Images
- Buffalo Government Sites
- Local and Regional Links (WNY)
- Additional Sources
In the UB Map Collection
The UB Libraries Map Collection has maps, charts, and aerial and satellite photos, and online maps of Buffalo and Western New York. These maps are in a variety of scales and describe many different aspects of the city and the region.
Maps of Buffalo are located either under a Library of Congress call number, or under the U.S. Government, Superintendent of Documents (SuDocs) numbering system. All of these maps may be located using the Libraries' Catalog, and then retrieving the desired map from the map drawer (SEL Room 316 map shows general locations).
Search Tip: When searching the Libraries' Catalog you may find listings using the following search tip: Enter a subject search, beginning with buffalo n y--maps. Example:
s = buffalo n y--maps
This will locate almost all Buffalo maps. To locate topographic maps of Buffalo, enter:
s = buffalo n y--maps topographic
Among this collection are what are referred to as historical topographic maps. These are older topographic maps (1895-1950) that are kept in the Map Collection Reference Room. Searching the Libraries' Catalog is the same as for regular topographic maps. To see some examples of these maps, view the link below:
If you need further assistance, please contact the Silverman Library Reference Desk, by calling 645-2945 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selected Maps of Buffalo
UB Aerial Photograph Collection. The UB Map Collection has aerial photographs and satellite imagery coverage of Erie and Niagara counties for the years 1927, 1966, and 1978. In addition, the Map Collection contains a small collection of miscellaneous satellite imagery of United States cities. Contact the UGL/SEL Reference Desk for access. There are additional links to other aerial collections of the region.
UB Topographic Maps Collection. Printed and digital maps are available:
- Topographic Maps (Printed). See the index maps and other tools to locate.
- Topographic Maps (Digital Rasterized Graphic) image files for download (for use in ArcView, MapInfo, Photoshop). Also available here are low-res images of each quad.
- Digital Topographic Maps of the U.S. available on the Map Room PC (see: Topo USA).
- See also Historical Topographic Maps of Buffalo (1895-1950).
Geographical Information System (GIS) Maps of Buffalo
- Buffalo GIS. Now using Erie County GIS (Buffalo data is included).
- Census TIGER/Line® Files. Search for Buffalo NY data (U.S. Census site).
- See also Erie County GIS (with local town GIS).
Buffalo Census Maps (US. Census Bureau)
- 2000 Block Maps. Block maps for entire nation in PDF format.
- 2000 Tract Maps. Tract maps for entire nation in PDF format.
- Erie and Niagara Counties, New York : An Index to Census 2000 Block Maps compiled by Giann A. Palachuvattil, student, School of Library and Information Studies, University at Buffalo. /units/lml/govdocsubj/census2000/Erie_Niag.Tract_Index_2000.pdf Lockwood Reference G3803.E6E25 2000 .P34
An index to the 2000 Erie and Niagara County block maps. Organization is by tract numbers and by names of places and MCDs.
See also Census Geography and Maps. (Above links from this guide).
- Original Land Subdivisions in Buffalo, 1802
- Burned Buffalo Map, 1813
- Map of Buffalo, c.1902 (Library of Congress). Very impressive bird's eye type map but the detail is incredible. Zoom in to individual blocks (example).
- Buffalo in 1849.
- 1894 City of Buffalo Atlas. Property maps of the city. Full-color digital version of the original maps with good resolution (may not work with all browsers).
- Buffalo, NY, 1896
- Buffalo Wards map. Showing the period from 1855-1890.
- Map of Buffalo, 1940
- Buffalo, New York, 1965. Low-res topographic map showing most of the city. This is the most current date for USGS topos of Bufffalo.
- Buffalo Parks System. View a map from 1914 showing the parks and parkways as designed by Frederick Law Olmsted (though there are several parts that did not follow his plans).
- Western New York Regional Knowledge Network (WNY RKN). Shows thematic maps of: counties, census tract maps, school districts, political districts, other.
- Buffalo Census Tracts (RKN).
- City of Buffalo Neighborhoods Map. Visit Buffalo, the "City of good neighbors" in this virtual tour showing locations and features of each neighborhood. With links to many aspects of the city's rich cultural and natural qualities. There are also links to references and other websites.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps. The University at Buffalo Map Collection has the 1991 edition of the city of Buffalo, on microfilm. This collection provides valuable, detailed property data, showing individual lots, buildings, and dimensions. The reels can be viewed in the Multimedia Center. Digital Sanborn Maps also available (UB community).
- Olmsted Parks and Park Conservancy
- Zoning Map of Buffalo. 1987 map shows basic data on zoning for various uses.
- Buffalo, New York History. Photographs, drawings, maps, articles; wide variety of topics.
- Buffalo Maps at BuffaloResearch.com. Links to a variety of great maps of Buffalo, along with street indexes, guides, and other items. Also has links to maps of Erie county towns and other areas. A few of the typical links are:
- See also Western New York Maps and Resources Guide
- See also Selection of Western New York Maps
- UB Aerial Photograph Collection. Covers: Erie & NIagara Counties, various years to 1978.
- See also GIS (orthophotos are included as layers in these).
- Erie County GIS (maps incorporate orthophoto layers for city and county).
- Empire State Roads. Ortho photo image mosaics (see entire city, or quad-matched images).
- See also Satellite Images & Map Databases. Locate, view, download, purchase satellite imagery.
City of Buffalo Official SourcesIncludes
- Buffalo City Government website.
- Buffalo Street Map. Line-art pdf of the entire city. Based on 2000 data and current zoning maps.
- Key offices of the city are:
- Buffalo Public Schools
- Erie County Official Sources
- New York State Thruway Authority maps. Includes detailed map and listing of WNY exits, tolls, etc.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Buffalo District. To see all ACE mapping for the Great Lakes region, visit CorpsMap.
Additional Sources on Buffalo
- Researching Buffalo History. A guide to finding books, articles, and other materials on Buffalo, New York.
- Buffalo City Directories. Guide to using directories in the UB Libraries.
- Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society Research Library. Find historic materials in all formats. Finding guides and resource files available.
- Buffalo, New York 1869 City Directory. The residential section of the 1869 Buffalo city directory. Locate persons by name and then view a facsimile of the page the name is on.
- Buffalo, N.Y. (city-data site). Basic data and statistics on the city, with photos and other links. Not comprehensive but good for quick data.