Aerial Photographs of WNY & Buffalo
The University at Buffalo Map Collection has a collection of more than 5,000 aerial photographs covering Erie and Niagara counties for the years 1927-1928, 1966, and 1978. These were produced by the Fairchild Aerial Survey, Inc. and other operations.
The Collection has an almost-complete set of aerial photographs covering Erie County for the years 1927-1929, 1966, and 1978, and for Niagara County for 1966 and 1978.
Individual images are listed by number. Some index maps (Click on series number at top of each section) are included here (originals may be viewed by appointment). Images are added when requested. All images (except where noted) are .jpg files usually scanned at 300 dpi and scale 100% (a few are 150 dpi). Images are bled beyond photo edge to ensure that the entire image has been saved. Images are not rotated to proper North-South orientation. Red dots show recent additions.
The best way to see what aerial photos have been posted below is to use your browser's SEARCH command and enter the most specific word for the location you wish to see (e.g., forest lawn).
For an appointment to access aerial photos contact the UGL/SEL Reference Desk by calling 645-2945 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have aerial photographs or maps that you wish to donate to the UB Map Collection, or would be willing to loan to the Collection for creating copies, please contact us.
Additional aerial photographs and maps of the UB campuses (North and South) are available on the UB in Maps page. Additional Erie County photos are available from the county website: Erie County Aerial Photographs: 1920 and 1951 collections (these may be downloaded).
NEW Aerial Photographs of Western New York for Buffalo (City); 175 plates (including some of the below images) cover the entire city. This is a subset of the 8226 series.
Note: These images are scanned from photo proofs of the original negatives. Quality is lower than from originals. If you have better copies of these photographs, or if you have other photographs that you would be willing to share, please contact us and consider allowing us to scan these to upgrade our materials. Thank you.
Series - 8187 (Index) - 1927-1929
Series - 8226 (Index) - 1927, Scale 1:9,600
See also: Aerial Photographs of Western New York (UB Digit) for Buffalo (City) aerials; includes 175 plates (including some of the below images).
- 8, 9, 11 South Buffalo, Cazenovia Park to West Seneca boundary. (Cazenovia Park 400%). (See also: 1966, 1978 views).
- 16, 18 (S) Union Ship Canal, (N) Tifft Nature Preserve (S end); (W) Inner Harbor (S end); (E) RR tracks.
- 26, 28, 29, 60, 65 Buffalo River
- 69, 70, 71 Colden-Glenwood area
- 100 Downtown Buffalo (east of Michigan Ave); Broadway-Clinton-Madison triangle, Jefferson (W)
- 101 Downtown Buffalo (east of City Hall)
- 102 Downtown Buffalo (City Hall detail); west to waterfront; Michigan Ave (E); Buffalo River (S); North St. (N)
- 104 Downtown Buffalo (west of City Hall)
- 110 Downtown Buffalo141 Main Street, Delaware Avenue, and Masten district 142 Main Street, Delaware Avenue, west of Main
- 145 Peace Bridge area and Black Rock Channel (detail) Humboldt Park (Martin Luther King, Jr. Park), Masten area, west to Main Street.
- 154, 155, 156 Buffalo (NE of downtown) near Masten.
- 182 Forest Lawn Cemetery & Main Street near Canisius College
- 183 Forest Lawn Cemetery
- 184 Forest Lawn Cemetery & Delaware Park
- 196 Forest Lawn Cemetery & Delaware Park
- 206 Cheektowaga part of Mount Calvary Cemetery
- 220, 222 University District near UB South Campus. Part of South Campus (E portion of campus not available).
- 233, 234, 236 Niagara River: Riverside area; Strawberry Island (W), Riverside Park (N), just E of Military Road (E), Scajaquada Creek (S). Erie Canal runs along entire length of photo.
- 244 Transit and Wehrle Drive (244 map key)
- 245, 246, 247 (244-246, 409, 498 compilation map) Wehrle Drive, Spindrift, Transit (E), Ellicott Creek (S); connects to N with 406-407 Detail (300%) 245 showing Spindrift Drive & Court
- 249, 251, 253, 254 Main Street, E of UB South Campus-Williamsville. See corresponding aerial images 397-399; 400-401.
- 265 Buffalo/Kenmore Elmwood Avenue (W), mid-southern portion of Kenmore (N), Delaware Avenue (+2 blocks East) (E), Hertel Avenue
- 266 Buffalo/Kenmore Military Road (W), southern portion of Kenmore (N), Delaware Avenue (E), Hertel Avenue (S); Bell Aircraft Corp. facility. See also 385-387.
- 329, 330, 331, 337, 339, 341 Cheektowaga (Buffalo Crushed Stone site).
- 363, 365, 366, 376, 377 Cheektowaga (Buffalo International Airport site) and surrounding area (Ellicott Creek, Williamsville).
- 385, 386, 387 Niagara River: Tonawanda/Riverside area; Niagara Street/River (W), Riverside Park at SW corner, Sheridan Drive (and S end of Mt. Olivet Cemetery) (N), Elmwood Avenue (E), Kenmore Avenue (S). Military Road runs N/S through center. See also 266.
- 397, 399 Main Street, E of UB South Campus-Williamsville. See corresponding aerial images 249-254; 400-401.
- 400, 401 Main Street, E of UB South Campus-Williamsville. See corresponding images 249-254; 397-399.
- 406, 407 Main Street, Youngs Road, Buffalo Country Club, Sheridan Drive (N), Wehrle Drive (S); connects to S with 245-247; 406 & 495 scanned at 200% showing Buffalo Country Club.
- 451, 453, 454 Grand Island, S end; includes part of Beaver Island State Park; see also 1025.
- 476 Tonawanda west (Sheridan Drive & Military) section. See corresponding topo maps.
- 495, 496, 497, 498, 499. Transit Road area: Amherst (N)-Clarence. See compilation map: 495-503. (495 shows Buffalo Country Club--406 & 495 scanned at 200% showing Buffalo Country Club).
- 500, 501, 502, 503. Transit Road area: Amherst (NE)-Clarence. See compilation map: 495-503. (500-501 shows Brookfield Country Club, see also: 8275-325).
- 507 N of Williamsville, E of Ellicott Creek (adjacent S of 572).
- 549 550 551 552 Tonawanda (W)-Grand Island (E) (east channel Niagara River; note the Erie Canal channel along E edge of the river).
- 572 N of Williamsville, E of Ellicott Creek (adjacent N of 507).
- 592, 593, 594, 595, 596 UB North Campus site Map key; Compilation Map.
- 606 607 608 609 Tonawanda (NW)-Grand Island (E) (east channel Niagara River)
- 641 Tonawanda (City)-North Tonawanda, junction of Ellicott & Tonawanda Creeks, with Niagara River.
- 663 Transit Road, North Amherst, near Niagara County line. (shows Transit Valley Country Club).
- 667, 668, 669 Niagara Falls, Ont. (Township), W of Navy Island, just S of Chippewa; See Also: 746+.
- 679, 681 Grand Island (ENE) and Niagara River E Branch.
- 723 Tonawanda at Ellicott Creek Island (on Tonawanda Creek; Town of Tonawanda/City of North Tonawanda).
- 735, 737 Grand Island (ENE) and Niagara River E Branch.
- 746, 747, 748 Navy Island (Ontario); Navy Island composite image (746 & 747 mosaic); and Niagara Falls, Ont. (Township), W of Navy Island; See Also: 667+.
- 842 Chippewa, Ont. outlet of Welland River
- 882, 884, 886, 887, 888, 889, 890, 891, 892, 893, 894, 895 Amherst-Pendleton area along Tonawanda Creek (Transit Road & Millersport). See also for area: 929-933; 991-996; 1004-1001
- 910, 911, 912 facsimile (note), 914, 915, 916, 917, 918 Niagara Falls-Wheatfield, along East Branch Niagara River, including Love Canal area (911-912).
- 920, 922, 924, 925, 927, 928, Niagara River, along Niagara Falls (city) to Niagara Falls (Ont.); includes falls and vicinity, Canadian and American sides.
- 929, 930, 931, 932, 933 Pendleton area along Tonawanda Creek (Transit Road & Millersport--New Road--Tonawanda Creek Road). See also 882-895; 929-933; 1004-1001
- 943, 945, 947, 949, 951, 952, 954 Niagara Falls (city), to river N of falls.
- 955, 958, 959, 960, 961 Niagara Falls, along river; Falls, NF Ontario, to Whirlpool Bridge (N), to East of rapids.
- 963, 965, 967, 969, 971, 973, 974, 976 Niagara River along S Niagara Falls (city) between falls and Cayuga Island.
- 987, 988, 989, 990, 991, 992, 993, 994, 995, 996, 997, 998 Amherst-Pendleton area along Tonawanda Creek (Transit Road & Millersport--New Road--Tonawanda Creek Road). See also 882-895; 929-933; 1004-1001
- 1004, 1005, 1006, 1007, 1008, 1009, 1010, 1011 Amherst-Pendleton area along Tonawanda Creek (Transit Road & Millersport--New Road--Tonawanda Creek Road). See also 882-895; 991-996
- 1025, 1027, 1028 Grand Island, S tip; includes Beaver Island State Park; see also 451. (Accompanying topos both same scale: 1901; 1948)
Series - 8275 (Key to Indexes) - 1928
- 114, 116 Lancaster: Genesee, Gunnville, Wehrle (See Compilation map for 114, 116, 318, 328)
- 318, 328 Lancaster: Main Street (E end Sheridan), Gunnville, Wehrle
- 322, 323, 324, 325 Clarence (Maple Road/Greiner; W of Transit-Harris Hill). (325 shows Brookfield Country Club, see also: 8226-500-501).
- 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 East Aurora to Wales, NY (20A)
- 662 663 Adjoiningmaps to 636-638
Series - 8326, Date - 1929
- 159 Boston Center (Patchin); route 391-Patchin Rd.-Liebler Rd.
- 784, 805, 807, 829 Ashford Hollow (Cattaraugus County) (near West Valley Nuclear Demonstration Project).
1966 (ARE-ARF) Scale: 1:20,000
Series ARE-1GG-n Date - 1966 June (ca. 1:20,000 scale)
- 136 Lockport SW to Pendleton, shows NYS Barge Canal; E to Transit Rd
- 149 Lockport SW to Pendleton; Comstock Corners; Lockport Rd; portion of NYS Barge Canal
- 150 Lockport SW to Pendleton;
- 176, 177 Cambria, Pendleton
- 19 20 Grand Island (south bridge area) and Tonawanda (Town). Niagara River.
- 74 Niagara River, N end Lake Ontario (Fort Niagara, Youngstown, NY-Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont./S to area North of Lewiston)
- 88 89 90 Niagara Falls, Ont.; W section of Niagara Falls, NY along river between Falls and Whirpool; (89 detail).
Series ARF-1GG-[nnn] Date - 1966 June 12
- 15 Cheektowaga I-90/33 (Kensington) interchange (similar coverage to ARF-3gg 52, 53)
- 42 d
- 71 South Buffalo, Cazenovia Park, N Buffalo River, E West Seneca (Thruway/400 interchange), S Ridge Road (Cazenovia Park 400%). (See also: 1927, 1978 views).
- 72, 73, 74 Thruway (I-990) corridor N Walden Avenue S exit for (pre-400) 400 expressway.
- 77 Cheektowaga I-90/33 (Kensington) interchange (S); I-90 (E); Main Street (Eggertsville), (N); Bailey Avenue, UB South Campus (W).
- 102 Buffalo (E of downtown); W Jefferson Ave., S Dingens St, E Harlem, N East Ferry St. (400% section Bailey/William/Bud Mill Drive; map key).
- 104 South of 102 (above), Buffalo River, South Buffalo.
- 129, 130, 131, 135, 136 Cattaraugus Creek
- 160 Stony Point, Union Ship Canal, Bethlehem Steel complex; Furman Blvd; Smoke Creek & Ridge Road. 163, 164, 165 Buffalo downtown (alt res images: 600 dpi; 300 dpi)
- 166 Buffalo (northern) Delaware Park/Buffalo State (N); Scajacquada /Kensington Expressways (E); Virginia St. (S); Niagara St./Squaw Island (W) (300% excerpt)
- 167 (300% excerpts: Elmwood Corridor/Elmwood Strip; Buffalo State; Canisius College; Delaware Park area (includes Lake, Forest Lawn Cemetary, Buffalo Zoo)
- 168 Kenmore/Tonawanda west (Military Drive) (W); Buffalo (northern) Delaware Park/Buffalo State, Scajacquada (S); Starin Avenue (E); near Highland Avenue (N) 300% detail
- 170 section
- UB South Campus and vicinity (detail)
- 5, 6, 7, Grand Island NW; North Tonawanda (E) including Tonawanda Island, City of Tonawanda, Town of Tonawanda, and Niagara River (E Branch), Grand Island Bridge (S).
- 8 9 Grand Island (south bridge area) and Tonawanda (Town). Niagara River.
- 10 Tonawanda west (Sheridan Drive & Military) section
- 42, 47, 48, 49, 50 Cattaraugus Creek
- 73, 74, 75, Grand Island (S) (south bridge area) and (E) Tonawanda (Town). Niagara River.
- 84 Grand Island (North); Buckhorn Island, Navy Island; bridges to Niagara County.
- 90 Grand Island S tip (partial); Ontario (Ft. Erie); part of Beaver Island State Park (E part not in collection).Beaver Island: 1920, 1951. 165 Buffalo downtown (600 dpi) (300 dpi)
- 24, 25 Cattaraugus Creek
- 52, 53, 55 Cheektowaga (Buffalo International Airport, Thruway, Transit Road, Genesee Street). (Buffalo Crushed Stone site near Airport). Similar image from ARF 1gg 15; 200% Detail of Buffalo International Airport complex.
- 57, 58, 59 Cheektowaga/Williamsville (East), Clarence (North of Buffalo International Airport, Thruway, Transit Road, Maple Road)
- 63, 65, 71, 73 Amherst-Pendleton area along Tonawanda Creek (Transit Road & Millersport--New Road--Tonawanda Creek Road).
- 81, 84, 85, 86, 87 Lancaster NY and vicinity (86 excerpt 400% showing comparison to 1966 and 2008).
- 114 Western New York Nuclear Service Center (West Valley Nuclear Demonstration Project), Ashford, NY (Cattaraugus County). Includes Ashford and part of Cattaraugus Creek (200% detail). Also topo maps: 1924; 1939; 1964; 1988. Current sate image (Catt. Co GIS) showing topography/structures. Recent sate image. See also 1978 image.
- 116, 129 Ashford Hollow (near West Valley Nuclear Demonstration Project). Includes Cattaraugus Creek.
- 145, 146, 147, 148 Elma, East Aurora
- 157 Lancaster, Clarence (between Thruway (I-90) and Genesee Street; shows quarries, Lancaster Speedway).
- 194 Elma (N), East Aurora (S)
- 196 East Aurora (N), Wales (E)
- 232, 233, 234 East Aurora to Wales (routes 20A/78)
Series ARF-5GG-[nnn]-1966-[mo.-day] July 16, 1966
- 2, 3, 4, 5 Cattaraugus Creek
- 18 Eighteen Mile Creek at mouth to Lake Erie and S; 300% excerpt near Creek mouth. See also 1995 image.
- 39, 58, 63 Cattaraugus Creek (Erie-Chautauqua County Line) W Lake shore-several miles inland (Portion of Cattaraugus Indian Reservation).
- 23 Niagara Falls to Grand Island north (see also 161 below)
- 39 Southern Erie County
- 41, 42, 43 Erie County: Wales (N); Holland (S). See compilation map.
- 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 Erie County: Aurora & East Aurora, Holland, Wales. See compilation map.
- 71 West Seneca/Buffalo (SW), I-90-Route 400 interchange.
- 84 Williamsville/Clarence (North of Thruway (I-90), Transit Road (West) to Lancaster. Includes quarries and Lancaster Speedway). Detail (300%) of Thruway corridor and quarries; from Transit Road to East of Lancaster Speedway. Detail (200%) of Transit Road corridor from Thruway North to Maple Road (current Eastern Hills shopping mall/plaza strip).
- 85 Williamsville/Clarence (Image almost the same as 84 above, but includes South of Thruway (I-90) South to Genesee Street; Transit Road (West) to Lancaster. Includes quarries and Lancaster Speedway).
- 86, 87 Williamsvill/Clarence Transit Rd., Sheridan Dr., E toward Lancaster. (#87-400% section)
- 90, 91 Lancaster (N), Elma (Center), Aurora & East Aurora (S); Route 400. See compilation map.
- 92, 93 Aurora & East Aurora (E); Orchard Park (W); West Falls (S); Colden (91 image).
- 101 Ashford Hollow (near West Valley Nuclear Demonstration Project).
- 103 Western New York Nuclear Service Center (West Valley Nuclear Demonstration Project), Ashford, NY (Cattaraugus County). Includes Ashford and part of Cattaraugus Creek. (Detail image of Center; 200% detail). See also 1966 #114 for more images, map, and detail shots.
- 121 West Seneca; I-90/I190 junction (W), routh 400 (S), Transit (E) Clinton St. (N).
- 123 Cheektowaga/Williamsville/Depew/Buffalo (East). Airport N, Transit Rd. E, Lancaster S, I-90 W. 124, 125, 126 Additional to above cover Williamsville and Clarence (Transit Rd., Main St., Sheridan Dr., to Harris Hill)
- 128 Amherst-Pendleton area along Tonawanda Creek (Transit Road & Millersport--New Road--Tonawanda Creek Road) See also 210-212 & 215 adjoining images
- 139 Cattaraugus Creek (County Line) W Lake shore-several miles inland.
- 159, 160 Niagara Falls (N.Y.) along river (E to bridges and LaSalle Expwy), Grand Island W & NW, Navy Island, SE Niagara Falls, Ont. (Township), showing Chippewa; S border (159) on Fort Erie).
- 161 Niagara Falls (N.Y.) to Grand Island north (Niagara Falls detail; Navy Island, Grand Island detail)
- 164 Niagara Falls, Grand Island north, NF airport, W Wheatfield
- 165 Niagara Falls/Wheatfield (N), Grand Island (excluding S end), East Branch Niagara River (E)
- 166 Tonawanda west (Sheridan Drive & Military); Grand Island (south-central)
- 167 Tonawanda west (Sheridan Drive & Military); Grand Island (south); Includes Beaver Island State Park; excerpt of Park.
- 168 Tonawanda west (Sheridan Drive & Military) section (at 300%) excerpt showing Black Rock/Niagara River section.
- 170 South Buffalo/Lackawanna
- 175 Derby, SE Hamburg, Eighteen Mile Creek from W of Eden to Lake Erie; 300% excerpt near Creek mouth.
- 198 (W) Lake Erie; (N) Ridge Rd (Smoke Creek); (E) S. Park Ave; (S) Wanakah Ctry Club, Camp Rd, Pleasant. Also Hamburg Town Park.
- 200 Buffalo River, South Buffalo Area. (W) Lake Erie; (N) Small Boat Harbor, William St; (E) South Park Ave; (S) Ridge Rd (Smoke Creek).
- 202 Buffalo downtown (600 dpi) (300 dpi) (detail 150%)--image covers most of the city
- 204 Town of Tonawanda (Grand Island Bridges, I-290, I-190, to North Buffalo (Scajacquada Expressway), to International RR Bridge (to Canada), to Eggert Road).
- 206 Grand Island (E half); North Tonawanda; Tonawanda (City & Town); I-290 (S edge)
- 210, 211 Amherst-Pendleton area along Tonawanda Creek (Transit Road & Millersport--New Road--Tonawanda Creek Road) See also 128 adjoining image.
- 212 Amherst/Williamsville (E of UB)
- 215 Amherst-Pendleton area (N of UB North Campus)
- 216 UB North Campus and Getzville/North Forest; Tonawanda. hi-res excerpt of Campus.
- 217 UB North Campus; Amherst (Boulevard Mall/Niagara Falls Blvd); Tonawanda; UB South Campus; Buffalo; Williamsville
- 219 UB South Campus and Eggertsville (N Amherst -- S Broadway/W Delaware Park -- E Cheektowaga). (Excerpt 300% showing UB/Englewood Ave.)
- 222, 223, 224 South Buffalo, West Seneca, Hamburg; N Cazenovia Park/Creek, E West Seneca (Route 400), S Milestrip Road (Orchard Park), W Lake Erie (Lackawanna) (Cazenovia Park 400%). (See also: 1927, 1966 views).
Modern Satellite Imagery (from outside sources)
- Eighteen Mile Creek at mouth on Lake Erie (April 15, 1995) Site of Graycliff house.
Origins of the Photographs
Below are descriptions of each collection:
1927-1929 Fairchild Aerial Surveys, Inc., New York, N.Y.
Coverage: Erie County, N.Y. / Scale: ca.1:9,500
Codes: 8187, 8225, 8226, 8275, 8326
The 1927-1929 collection of photographs were produced by the Fairchild Aerial Survey, Inc. Sherman Mills Fairchild, who was born in New York State, took great interest in the role of airplanes and photography. His company, Fairchild Aerial Survey, Inc., produced thousands of aerial photographs of the United States and Mexico. Its vast collection has been dispersed and collections of these photos are in libraries across the country. One of the largest collections of Fairchild aerial photos is the Fairchild Aerial Photography Collection at University of California at Santa Barbara. The National Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian Institution also has a large collection of Fairchild and USGS aerial photos, as does the Geography and Map Division of the Library of Congress.
1966 U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Stabilization and Conservaiton Service
(Flown by Keystone Aerial Surveys, Inc., Philadelphia, Pa.)
Coverage: Erie and Niagara Counties, N.Y. / Scale 1:20,000
Code: ASCS (Plates have series numbers/sub-numbers)
1978 U.S. Department of Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service
(Flown by Kucera & Associates, Mentor, Ohio)
Coverage: Erie and Niagara Counties, N.Y. / Scale 1:38,000
Code: 36029 (Plates have series numbers/sub-numbers)
Technical Note on the Photographs
The entire aerial collection is made up of contact proofs of the negatives that were shot. These vary in quality and some contain imperfections caused by the processing of these contacts. Also, some frames are missing from the collection. These prints were given to the University Libraries "as is" and what was missing when we received them cannot be replaced.
The scale of the 1927-1929 photographs was approximated by calculating a sampling of photographs. Because of altitude variations, the scale varies slightly throughout the series.
Requesting Aerial Photographs
Requests to obtain copies of aerial photographs must be made through the Map Collection. You may set up an appointment to view and locate photographs. We will make either photocopies of the selected images or scanned electronic files.
Aerial photographs by Fairchild Aerial Surveys, Inc. are still under copyright and may not be used in publications without permission. It is the user's responsibility to obtain permission. USDA aerial photographs are free to use.
Please cite the Western New York Aerial Photograph Collection at the University at Buffalo when using any of these images.
Other Aerial Photographs & Satellite Imagery at UB
In addition, the Map Collection contains a small collection of miscellaneous satellite imagery of United States cities. Contact the UGL/SEL Reference Desk by calling 645-2945 or via e-mail at email@example.com to set up an appointment to access the aerial photos. See also: Satellite Images, Aerial Photographs, and Databases for a selection.
Additional links to Erie County Air Photos
A source for Canadian aerial photography is the National Air Photo Library (Natural Resources Canada). Extensive aerial and high-altitude images of Canada. Find digital copies of images and order photos. Also has resources on aerial photography, including: Introduction to Air Photo Interpretation, a page that explains how to 'read' these photographs.
Aerial Photograph Collections in Other Institutions (Selected List)
- United States: National Archives Collections.
- Bureau of Land Management Aerial Photography Archive. Over 451,000 images; 1950s-1980s; B+W, Natural Color, and False Color Infrared images.
Listed alphabetically by country or state, then by city or county, etc. Most are vertical aerial satellite images, but a few oblique or selective collections are here because of their usefulness.
- Australia: Aerial Photographs Collection at the National Library
- Britain From Above (English Heritage). Digital project to cover 95,000 of the oldest and most valuable photographs in the Aerofilms collection, dating from 1919 to 1953.
- California Air Photo Database (USC Berkeley). State photos and some non-California aerials (including foreign locations).
- California Aerial Photo Collection (UC Davis). Also has list of links to other states.
- California: Humboldt County (Humboldt State Univ.).
- Canada: National Air Photo Library (Natural Resources Canada).
- Canada: Aerial Photographs of Cities and Towns across Canada (Waite Air Photos).
- Canada: Ontario: Niagara Region: Aerial Photographs in the Niagara Falls Public Library. Database of thousands of photos from various periods. (Digital Collections page)
- Canada: Prince Edward Island. Browse Photographs by Community.
- Cities & Urban areas of the United States (Univ. of Minn.). Photo mosaics of selected cities in the U.S.
- Colorado: Aerial Photographs of Colorado (U of Colorado, Boulder). 1,700+ digitized aerials of Colorado taken by the U.S. Forest Service, 1938 to 1947. Also links to other Colorado sites.
- Connecticut: MAGIC: Map and Geographic Information Center (UCONN). Wonderful collection and online site. Collections of state agencies can also be accessed here.
- Denmark Aerial Photograph Collection (National Library). Over 4 million images and negatives.
- Florida Aerial Maps (University of Florida). Coverage of most of state.
- Great Britain: National Collection of Aerial Photography. Extensive aerial photographs and negatives covering Europe and the World.
- Illinois Air Photo Imagebase (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Israel: Historical Aerial Photograph Collection
- Louisiana State Aerial Photograph Collection. (LOUISiana Digital Library)
- Louisiana: New Orleans (1949) (1960). Small collection.
- Massachusetts: Boston: MIT Digital Ortho Photo Archive. Shows: Boston area digital orthophotos at several different zoom levels, with pan, zoom, and download functionality. Digital orthos provide detailed imagery with known and consistent coordinates.
- Michigan: Detroit Area (Wayne State). Aerial photos of Detroit and area between 1949 to 1997.
- Minnesota Aerial Photography Index. Coverage for the state of Minnesota only, with photos for all counties (1936 to date).
- Minnesota Aerial Photographs in the National Archives.
- Oklahoma Aerial Photographs (OK Dept. of Libraries).
- Oregon: Selected Locations (U of Oregon). Mostly Oregon and Washington state. Wide coverage dates.
- New York State: Digital Orthoimagery Application (New York State GIS Clearinghouse).
- New York State Orthos Online. GIS-view of state in seamless imagery.
- New York State: Syracuse University Map Collection Aerial Photographs of NY.
- Historical Aerial Photographs of New York. Cornell University.
- United States and North America: NOAA Photo Library. Has aerial and remote-sensing images.
The Fairchild Aerial Photography Collection at Whittier College is one of the largest libraries of aerial photographs in North America. The Collection is estimated to consist of at least 500,000 items, including prints, negatives, photoindices, and photomosaics. All of the photographs in the Collection were produced by Fairchild Aerial Surveys, Inc., or its subsidiaries and contractors during the period of 1927-1965, and are mostly black-and-white, vertical images.
Further Information and Donations Request
If you need further assistance, please contactthe UGL/SEL Reference Desk by calling 645-2945 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have aerial photographs or maps that you wish to donate to the UB Map Collection, or would be willing to loan to the Collection for creating copies, please contact us. Thank you.