Booking Multimedia Materials
Reserve multimedia materials for classroom showings using the simple instructions on our Booking Multimedia Materials web page.
To search the UB Libraries Media Collections, use the search box on our web page. Searches are limited to the Health Sciences and Silverman collections separately. To perform a more advanced search, or to include other multimedia collections from the Law Library and the Music library choose Advanced Search.
Policy for Placing Materials on Reserve
- When possible, materials should be brought to the Library before the start of a semester. Reserve lists will be processed in the order in which they are received.
- Required information for putting material on reserve: Course Number, Course Name, Department, Instructor, duration of reserve.
- While the library staff will make every effort to safeguard material placed on reserve, the Library cannot assume liability for the damage or loss of materials from an instructor's personal property.
- AVAILABLE LOAN PERIODS FOR RESERVE MATERIALS: 2 hours or 1 day for use only in the Multimedia Centers
- See our Course Reserve Submission web page.
All multimedia items from Health Sciences and Silverman collections circulate for 10 days. Items may be requested via UB Document Express for delivery between North and South campuses.
A proxy card allows a person (proxy) to borrow materials on behalf of a UB faculty or staff member (sponsor). Although the proxy carries the card, the sponsor is responsible for all materials borrowed on the card. Please visit our Proxy Cards page for more information.
The Exceptions for Instructors eTool guides users through the educational exceptions in U.S. copyright law, helping to explain and clarify rights and responsibilities for the performance and display of copyrighted content in traditional, distance and blended educational models.
Film ReviewsReviews of educational and documentary films are not always easy to find. Here are a few sites that will get you started.
- Educational Media Reviews Online
"a database of video, DVD, audio CD and CD-ROM reviews of materials from major educational and documentary distributors and independent filmmakers. The reviews are written by librarians and teaching faculty in institutions across the United States and Canada."
- Filmcritic.com | Movie Reviews and DVD Reviews for the Film Fanatic
"One of the oldest and certainly the liveliest film and movie review destination on the Web! Founded in 1995, Filmcritic.com hosts more than 8,000 movie reviews and feature stories contributed by 20-some critics located throughout the world."
- Movie Review Query Engine - MRQE
Good online search engine for movie reviews.
- New York Times Movie Reviews
New York Times movie reviews, trailers, showtimes
Classroom Equipment and On Campus Viewing Areas
North Campus Viewing Areas
Capen 128 Viewing/Instruction Room – Seats 20 students. Must be reserved through your Liaison Librarian or by contacting Multimedia Collections and Services staff.
Clemens 120 – reserve by contacting the UBIT Help Center
Student Union (fee based)
South Campus Viewing Areas
Roswell Park Room, Abbott Hall, B15
Multimedia Instruction Room, Health Sciences Library, Multimedia Resources Center, Abbott Hall