The Knovel Academic Challenge is currently underway!
Knovel is an engineering database which the UB Libraries’ subscribes to. It includes the full text of over 1,000 engineering handbooks as well as interactive data tables, equations, and graph plotters. Every year, Knovel has an Academic Challenge, where university science and engineering students answer a series of multiple-choice questions based on information in the database and become eligible for prizes. New problem sets are posted each week on Monday at 12am. Based on player performance, weekly and grand prizes are granted to the winning students.
The game began Sept. 28th but you can enter and play at any time. The game ends on Sunday, November 1, 2015.
You must register to play, but registration is free. To register and begin playing, go to: knovelac.com
How do you play the game?
- Every Monday at 12:00:00 AM PDT, new problem sets will go live in the game. Each week, students will log in with their Knovel Academic Challenge login and password once they have registered and solve 7-10 multiple choice problem-sets with direct links to Knovel accessible from within the game interface. Students have the option to exit and reenter the game anytime between problem-sets, and they have as much time as they need to answer each question, as long as they finish all problem sets each week by Sunday at 11:59:59 PM PST.
- Students have 3 attempts to answer each question correctly. If the question is answered correctly on the first attempt, they get 4 points; on the second attempt, 3 points; and on the third attempt, 1 point. Each week, students accumulate points to compete for weekly and grand prizes. Only grand prizes depend on total accumulation of points. The weekly prize only depends on points from that respective week.
What are the prizes?
- Weekly Prize: The student with the highest points from that week will receive a $100 Amazon gift card
- 1st Place Grand Prize: The student with the highest accumulation of points at the end of the challenge will receive an Apple iPad Air II with Wi-Fi 16Gb
- 2nd Place Grand Prize: The student with the second highest accumulation of points at the end of the challenge will receive aSONOS PLAY:1
- Challenge within the Challenge: The student with the highest score from each of the top ten schools will receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card