Skip to Content
ublogo print

University at Buffalo Libraries

Pan-American Exposition of 1901

Bandstands

There were five bandstands on the grounds of the Pan-American Exposition. These included the Plaza bandstand, north of the Electric Tower, the East and West bandstands in the Esplanade near the Temple of Music, the Casino bandstand on the shore of the lake close to where the Casino building stands today, and another bandstand on the lake near what is now the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. The heavy schedule of band performances kept these bandstands in almost constant use throughout the Exposition. Return to the introduction page to see a map of the bandstand locations.


Plaza Bandstand

Plaza Bandstand. View: The Plaza, with its bandstand in a sunken garden, just north of the Electric Tower. The view is eastward towards one of the two restaurants that bordered the Plaza. The Propylaea is on the right. Photographer: Unidentified, probably C. D. Arnold. Source: Music at the Pan-American Exposition: Organists, Orchestras, Bands, 1901. Courtesy of Kerry S. Grant.


Plaza Bandstand - Closeup. View: Close-up of the bandstand in the Plaza showing the ornately detailed columns and roof. Photographer: Unidentified, probably C. D. Arnold. Source: Music at the Pan-American Exposition: Organists, Orchestras, Bands, 1901. Courtesy of Kerry S. Grant.


Plaza Bandstand Looking Southeast. View: The Plaza bandstand with the Stadium entrance and restaurant, and Agriculture Building to its left. The smaller buildings as drink concessions. Photographer: Unidentified. Source: Pan-American Souvenir by Charles Cutter. Niagara Falls, N.Y.: Charles Cutter, 1901. Courtesy of Kerry S. Grant.


Illuminated Plaza Bandstand with Electric Tower. View: The Plaza bandstand illuminated in night scene with Electric Tower behind it. Photographer: Unidentified. Source: Pan-American Souvenir by Charles Cutter. Niagara Falls, N.Y.: Charles Cutter, 1901. Courtesy of Kerry S. Grant.


Plaza Bandstand with Electric Tower. View: The Plaza Bandstand with the Electric Tower in the background. Photographer: Unidentified. Source: The Rand-McNally Photo-Views of the Pan-American Exposition: A Choice Collection of Illustrations of the Main Points of Interest at the Rainbow City, Including Buildings, Statuary, Electrical Effects, Landscape, and Midway Scenes. Chicago: Rand, McNally & Co., 1901. Courtesy of Kerry S. Grant.


Plaza Bandstand Illuminated. View: The Plaza Bandstand illuminated at night. The Propylaea is in the background. Photographer: Unidentified.


The bandstands at the Pan-American were designed by J.M. Lyall of New York. He, like many of the young, fledgling architects employed at the Exposition, was assigned the responsibility of designing minor constructions. A recent graduate of the Ecole de Beaux-Arts, Lyall and his "untried" colleagues hoped that their work at the Exposition would gain them notice. Lyall's bandstands were "circular pavilions roofed over in shell-like fashion and reminiscent of the fantastic effects achieved in the larger structures built at the the Paris Exposition in 1900. Completely in keeping with the festival nature of the Pan-American, the unassuming bandstands expressed more immediately the gaiety of a temporary city than the more developed, larger buildings."1


Esplanade Bandstands: East and West

Esplanade Bandstands. View: Looking South from the Electric Tower, this photograph was taken at a height of over 300 feet. It shows the buildings around the Court of Fountains, including the Temple of Music on the right and the Ethnology Building facing it on the left. The Esplanade, with both its bandstands, is also visible. Photographer: C. D. Arnold. Source: The Pan-American Exposition Illustrated, by C. D. Arnold. Buffalo, N.Y., 1901. p. 26. Courtesy of Kerry S. Grant.


East Esplanade Bandstand. View: The East Esplanade bandstand looking towards the Triumphal Bridge. Photographer: C. D. Arnold Source: The Pan-American Exposition Illustrated, by C. D. Arnold. Buffalo, N.Y., 1901. p. 40. Courtesy of Kerry S. Grant.


East Esplanade Bandstand - Illuminated. View: The East Esplanade bandstand illuminated in night scene, with Ethnology Building behind. Photographer: Unidentified (C. D. Arnold?). Source: Kerry S. Grant. The Rainbow City: Celebrating Light, Color, and Architecture at the Pan-American Exposition, Buffalo 1901, p. 111. Photo from the collection of the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society.


West Esplanade Bandstand Illuminated. View: The West Esplanade bandstand illuminated in night scene, with Temple of Music and Electric Tower. Photographer: Unidentified. Source: Pan-American Souvenir by Charles Cutter, Niagara Falls, N.Y.: Charles Cutter, 1901 Courtesy of Kerry S. Grant.


Casino bandstand

Casino bandstand with the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in background. This postcard scene is probably dated between 1904 and 1910.


Reference

1. Joann Marie Thompson. The Art and Architecture of the Pan-American Exposition, Buffalo, New York, 1901. Unpublished dissertation, Rutgers University, The State University of New Jersey, 1980. pp. 75-76.