IX.A.7: Miscellaneous Manuscripts: Loose Sheets:
Partial Typescript of a Danish Interview (1936):
Material Description and Collation: The manuscript consists of 17 sheets of double-spaced typewritten black ribbon bottom (carbon) copies, with corrections in black ink in Joyce's hand on pp. , , ,  and ; the versos are blank.
Measurements: The manuscript measures 25.7 x 20.2 cm.
Pagination: The sheets are numbered "3."–"19." by the typist in the upper left margin.
Contents: The typescript is a partial interview of Joyce by the Danish journalist Ole Vinding, made during Joyce's visit to Copenhagen in August 1936; pp. ,  and  are missing. Vinding sent Joyce the interview, but it was not published until it appeared in translation as "James Joyce in Copenhagen," in Portraits of the Artist in Exile, edited by Willard Potts and translated by Helge Irgens-Moller (Seattle, Washington: University of Washington Press, 1979), pp. 139-152.
Dating: The typescript was probably prepared in 1936.
Publication: This manuscript has not been reproduced.
Notes: The following items are now also housed with the manuscript:
- A.l.s. from Bill [Willard] Potts, Oregon State University, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Department of English, Corvallis, Oregon, [USA], to [Karl C.] Gay, [Poetry Collection, Lockwood Memorial Library, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14214, U.S.A.], dated 14 July 1974;
- T.l.s.copy from Ole Vinding, Brankebakken, Biskop Monrads Vej 15, Virum, Denmark, 2830, to [Willard] Potts, [Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon, USA], dated 17 October 1973, which was enclosed with Potts's letter;
- T.l.s. from Arnold Goldman, University of Keele, Department of American Studies, Keele, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, England, to Karl C. Gay, Poetry Collection, Lockwood Memorial Library, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14214, [U.S.A.], dated 3 November 1975;
- A 5l photocopy of an earlier typescript version of the interview (in Danish) that was enclosed with Goldman's letter;
- A 5l photocopy of a different typescript version of the interview (in Danish) that was also enclosed with Goldman's letter;
- Photocopies of pp.  and  of a duplicate copy of MS IX.A.7, also enclosed with Goldman's letter (the page corresponding to MS IX.A.7 p.  has a correction that is copied from the original, which does not appear on MS IX.A.7);
- A 3l photocopy of a shortened version of Ole Vinding's interview of Joyce that was published in Perspektiv (Copenhagen, Denmark; vol. 6; no. 8; Summer 1959, pp. 14–16, which was also enclosed with Goldman’s letter;
- A 4l photocopy of a typescript English translation of this interview by Julia McGrew (with manuscript corrections on the original version;
- A 2l photocopy of an article by Vinding entitled "Et Interview med Joyce" in Forum (Copenhagen, Denmark; no. 1; February 1941), pp. 21–22, which was also enclosed with Goldman’s letter; and
- A typed note on a scrap of tan paper that reads: "A translation of this interview into English | by Dr. Geo. C. Shoolfield is filed with the | Joyce items not catalogued by Peter Spielberg | under the title: Danish interview of Joyce…”, signed "Note by A. A. R. | June, 1961".