On April 19, 1979, the new Lockwood Memorial Library and the contributions and vision of Thomas B. Lockwood were remembered. Also honored was Mr. Lockwood's widow, Mildred Lockwood Lacey (1896-1982) when her portrait by Pal Fried (1893-1976) was unveiled in the Special Collections Reading Room in Capen Hall. The unveiling of a portrait of Charles D. Abbott by North Carolina artist Beth Turner took place in the Friends Room of the new Lockwood Memorial Library.
In Norton Hall's Woldman Theatre President Robert L. Ketter (1928-1989) and University Council Chairman Robert Millonzi (1910-1986) unveiled the plaque for the new library. The dedicatory address was presented by Earl J. McGrath (1902-1993), Buffalo native, UB graduate, and one-time assistant to Chancellor Capen. McGrath had a distinguished career as faculty member and administrator at the University of Chicago and other institutions also served as U.S. Commissioner of Education from 1949 until 1953. He used the dedicatory address to honor the generosity and vision of Thomas B. Lockwood.
View a PDF form of the original Dedication Ceremony pamphlet
At the conclusion of the program in the Woldman Theatre - President Ketter and guests attended a reception in the newly-dedicated Lockwood Memorial Library