Lockwood's Rare Book Collection
With the completion of the Lockwood Memorial Library in 1935, Thomas B. Lockwood donated his extensive personal collection of rare British and American literature and other landmarks in the history of letters and printing and established an endowment to support the purchase of library material. "It is a princely gift" wrote Library Director Charles D. Abbott (1900-1961) in the handsome A Selection of Books & Manuscripts in the Lockwood Memorial Library of the University of Buffalo printed by the Georgian Press to commemorate the new library building and the collection of books and manuscripts donated by Mr. Lockwood. The new library is "not a mausoleum in which are preserved precious and untouchable relics of man's achievements; it is an active workshop requisite to the intellectual life for which the university stands responsible."
"The nucleus, around which may grow a new library, dedicated to learning and to the culture that it seeks to inspire."