1924 Buffalo Bulls Football
In 1924, for the fourth season in a row, the Buffalo football team started the season with a new coach. At the end of the 1923 Buffalo season, U.B. coach Jim Bond resigned. Bond was quickly replaced by Russell Carrick. (see “Russ Carrick Chosen as Football Coach” The Bee, 23 December 1923) Carrick played football at Colgate University and coached high school football with great success. It was hoped that Carrick would bring much needed stability to the U.B. football program.
The season opened with a training camp at Angola, N.Y. Only 25 men registered, many of whom had little or no experience with the pigskin. Coach Carrick and his assistant Jim Wilson developed the under-manned team as best as they could. Team captain Lester Knapp and halfback George Metz led the team.
The only win of the season came in week 3 when Buffalo upset a heavily favored St. Lawrence University team. Unfortunately only a handful of students were present to witness the best game of the season.
Buffalo’s final game of 1924 was against a new opponent, George Washington University. The game was played in Buffalo at Rotary Field. Buffalo would return the favor the following year making a trip to D.C. to play George Washington University in 1925, the last time the two teams have played each other.
1924 Buffalo Bulls Football Season
|Date||Home Team||Score||Visiting Team||W-L-T||Location|
|Sat, 10/4/19241||Buffalo||7 – 16||Westminster||L||Buffalo, NY|
|Sat, 10/11/19242||Buffalo||0 – 9||Alfred||L||Buffalo, NY|
|Sat, 10/18/19243||Buffalo||7 – 0||St. Lawrence||W||Buffalo, NY|
|Sat, 10/25/19244||Davis & Elkins||48 – 0||Buffalo||L||Elkins, WV|
|Sat, 11/1/19245||Buffalo||0 – 26||Clarkson||L||Buffalo, NY|
|Sat, 11/8/19246||Rochester||21 – 7||Buffalo||L||Rochester, NY|
|Sat, 11/15/19247||Buffalo||6 – 13||Hobart||L||Buffalo, NY|
|Sat, 11/22/19248||Buffalo||0 – 6||George Washington||L||Buffalo, NY|
FINAL RECORD: 1-7
Home: Rotary Field, Bailey and Winspear Avenues;
Coach: Russell Carrick
- “U.B. Eleven Loses to Westminster in Closing Minutes” Buffalo Courier Buffalo, NY, 5 October 1924.
- “Alfred’s Eleven Walks Over Bulls, Despite Game Try” Buffalo Courier Buffalo, NY, 12 October 1924.
- “Worm Turns for U.B. Gridmen With Win Over Kaws” Buffalo Courier Buffalo, NY, 19 October 1924.
- “U.B. Encounters Stiff Beating by Davis Elkins Team” Buffalo Courier Buffalo, NY, 26 October 1924.
- “Clarkson Tech Has Easy Time In Defeating Bulls” Buffalo Courier Buffalo, NY, 2 November 1924.
- “Callaghan Dashes Aid in U.B. Defeat by Rochester, 21-7” Buffalo Courier Buffalo, NY, 9 November 1924.
- “U.B.’s Gritty Game Holds Hobart to 13 to 6 Victory” Buffalo Courier Buffalo, NY, 16 November 1924.
- “U.B. Gridders Drop Final Game to Washingtons, 7-0” Buffalo Courier Buffalo, NY, 23 November 1924.