Hayes Hall, a historical landmark on the UB's South Campuses, is now the home of the School of Architecture and Planning. With its bell tower, complete with Westminster chimes, Hayes Hall is the most stately and recognizable building on campus. Originally part of the Erie County Almshouse, after its acquisition by the University it was the home of the University's main administrative offices.
At the dedication ceremony, Chancellor Samuel Capen recognized how Hayes Hall would become a central image to the University. He stated:
From its nature and its central position this building is destined to be the focus of the life of the University for many years, perhaps for many generations. It will be preeminently the visual symbol of the University both to the members of the institution and to the community at large.
Brigadier General Edmund B. Hayes (1849-1923) was an engineer and businessman who built bridges and manufactured automobiles. He was a member of the University Council from 1920 to 1923. He left a total bequest of $389,000 to the University.
History and Chronology
- 1874 -- Building built to house the Insane Department of the Erie County Almshouse
- 1893 -- Building converted to a 400-bed County Hospital
- 1909 -- Almshouse site acquired by the University Council
- 1916 -- Edmund Hayes gives $250,000 to the University
- 1927 -- Hospital is renovated and remodeled
- 1928 -- (February 22) Hayes Hall is dedicated
- 1928 -- (July) Tower Clock and Westminster Chime are installed
- 1983 -- Tower Clock stopped shortly after the retirement of its long-time maintainer, Kenneth Cott, UB general mechanic
- 1988 -- (Fall) Hayes Hall Complex, including Wende, Beck, and Townsend Halls, was designated as a local landmark by the Buffalo Preservation Board
- 1989 -- (May-July) Tower Clock is repaired by Marvin F. DeBoy
- 1989 -- (December 12) Hayes Hall is dedicated as a historic landmark by the Landmark Society of the Niagara Frontier
- 2011 -- Building closed for renovation.
Building and Construction InformationArchitects: George Metzger
Jesse Porter (renovation architect)
Contractors: Cyrus K. Porter & Sons
Cost: $526,778, remodeling
Size: 80,282 sq. ft.