Stockton Kimball Tower
Former Name: Tower Hall (1957-1973)
Kimball Tower was formerly one of South Campus's residence halls and home to 440 residents. It now houses two health-science programs: the School of Public Health and Health Professions and the School of Nursing. Noteworthy in building are the murals depicting the activities of the Indian Tribes of the Iroquois Confederacy by Hugh Laidman.
Namesake:Dr. Stockon Kimball (1903-1958) was a graduate of the University of Buffalo Medical School (class of 1929), a Professor of Medicine from 1933 until 1946 when he took the position of Dean of the Medical School, which he held until his death in 1958.
Kimball Tower when it was the Tower Residence Hall, c1960s
History and Chronology
- 1956 -- (May) Groundbreaking ceremony
- 1956 -- (October 10) Cornerstone ceremony
- 1957 -- (January) Completion of building
- 1957 -- (September 1) Balance occupied
- 1957 -- (September 30) Dedication of Tower (residence) Hall
- 1973 -- (October 24) SUNY Board of Trustees names Tower Hall Stockton Kimball Tower
- 1974-1985 -- Housed the Health Sciences Library
Building and Construction InformationCost: $3,250,000
Size: 130,552 sq. ft.