Last update: June 17, 2020
The University at Buffalo is monitoring the COVID-19 (the disease caused by the novel coronavirus) situation carefully and is taking proactive and prudent measures to ensure the health and safety of the UB community in accordance with the guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
We are working closely with university officials on the shared goal of lowering the number and proximity of people on campus.
Summer 2020 update
We continue to work closely with the university on preparations for a phased re-opening of the Libraries. As the safety of our patrons is our greatest priority, all libraries, other than Silverman Library, remain closed. During the months of June, July and August, Silverman Library will be open to UB students, faculty and staff from Monday through Friday, 10:00am – 4:00pm.
- The Oscar A. Silverman Library is open to current UB students, faculty and staff ONLY.
- As of March 23, 2020, the Oscar A. Silverman Library is open:
- Monday, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Tuesday, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Wednesday, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Thursday, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Friday, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Saturday – Closed
- Sunday – Closed
- As of March 18, 2020, the following Libraries are closed until further notice:
- Architecture & Planning Library (Abbott Hall)
- Charles B. Sears Law Library
- Health Sciences Library (Abbott Hall)
- Libraries Annex
- Lockwood Memorial Library
- Music Library
- Special Collections (University Archives, Poetry Collection, History of Medicine, Rare & Special Books)
- Medical School Library: As of March 17, there is no librarian staffing the library until further notice. The space remains open to authorized users only.
Always check the Libraries website for the latest information about our hours and services.
Please note, the support hours and locations for the UBIT Help Center, student printing and public computing sites have changed.
When working remotely, we can still provide you with expert help and services including:
- Off-Campus Access
- Ask A Librarian
- Get online help through Chat, Text, Email or by Phone.
- Subject Librarians are available to answer your questions through email, by phone or remote consultation.
- Digital Scholarship & Publishing staff are available to assist remotely with questions about data management, digital scholarship and scholarly publishing.
- Access to Library Resources & Services
- Borrowing Items from Our Physical Collection
- We are unable to supply physical items or allow access to our physical collections at this time. UB has access to many ebooks via our databases such as eBook Collection and ProQuest Ebook Central. Please see our Access to Library Resources & Services for more information on accessing materials electronically. If you are unable to utilize the above resources, we are happy to investigate purchasing or borrowing an ebook. Please submit your request via Delivery+. Additionally, you may request book chapter(s) compliant with Title 17, Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act. This will be delivered electronically.
- Borrowing or Returning Library Materials
- UB Libraries are temporarily waiving overdue fines and fees for Interlibrary Loan.
- Renewing Materials
- We are offering perpetual renewal for library materials during the Coronavirus outbreak.
- For detailed information on delivery services during the current COVID-19 situation, see COVID-19 – delivery services FAQs.