SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Librarianship
The Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Librarianship recognizes consistently superior professional achievement in the field of librarianship. Nominees for the award must have demonstrated extraordinary performance in at least one of the following areas:
- Skill in Librarianship: There must be positive evidence that the candidate performs superbly in fulfilling librarianship duties, including teaching related to librarianship.
- Service to the University and to the Profession: There must be evidence that the candidate is flexible and adapts readily to the needs of constituents served. Eligible service areas include contributions to the library, the campus, the State University, the community and to the profession.
- Scholarship and Continuing Professional Growth: The candidate must keep abreast of developments in the field and use relevant contemporary data in relation to that person’s work situation. Evidence in this category should include references to publications, membership and work in professional organizations, attendance at meetings, seminars, etc.
- Must possess an ALA-accredited Master of Library Science (MLS), a Master’s degree (e.g. MIS) or equivalent (e.g. MLIS) and hold academic rank as defined in the SUNY Board of Trustees policies: librarian, associate librarian, senior assistant librarian, and assistant librarian.
- Must have completed three academic years of full-time employment within the previous five years (years do not need to be consecutive) at the nominating campus prior to the year of nomination.
- Individuals serving in a part-time capacity or holding a visiting title are ineligible;
- Must not be the Vice Provost for University Libraries;
- Must not be a self-nomination;
- Must not have previously received the award;
- Must not hold a distinguished rank;
- No posthumous nominations.
- Must contain a letter from the nominator of not more than five (5) pages, summarizing the candidate’s credentials and demonstrating the candidate’s extraordinary performance in: skill in librarianship, service to the university and to the profession, scholarship and continuing professional growth;
- Must contain the candidate’s current curriculum vitae; including date of initial appointment, highest rank attained and date of appointment at that rank.
- Must contain at least three letters of support.
- Completed nomination dossiers must be received electronically by the Office of the Vice Provost for University Libraries on behalf of the local selection committee by Friday, October 14, 2022 at 5:00PM. Email all materials to Jesse Meyer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are interested in nominating a deserving and qualified librarian and/or you need additional information about compiling/submitting a nomination dossier, please contact Jesse Meyer, email@example.com