Library Hours, Resources and Services
UB is committed to protecting the health and safety of the UB community while remaining focused on our academic, research and community service mission. Ensuring the safety of the entire campus community is paramount as we evolve our response to the COVID-19 pandemic and implement our return to campus plans.
Fully vaccinated students are no longer required to wear masks or practice physical distancing in the Libraries.
Unvaccinated students are still required to wear masks and practice physical distancing in the Libraries.
Please continue to follow the COVID-19: UB Planning and Response website for the latest information.
Last Update: July 12, 2021
Swipe Card Access – Lockwood and Abbott Libraries
- As of July 10, 2021, the University Libraries will no longer be using a card swipe system at the entrances of Lockwood and Abbott Libraries.
- The library hours for the summer 2021 semester are available.
- During the summer, pick-up lockers will be installed near the second floor entrance of Lockwood Library with a second location planned for the south campus.
Borrowing Library Materials
- You may borrow items using the UB Libraries Self Checkout app or at a Self Checkout Kiosks.
- There are self-service areas for items on hold on the first floor of Abbott Library and the second floor of Lockwood Library.
- Throughout the Summer 2021 semester, patrons will not be able to pick up borrowed items in Silverman Library.
Delivery of Library Materials
- UB Libraries resumed delivery of print materials to all patrons. You may pick up requested materials in Lockwood Library or Abbott Library, or have items delivered to your office or home address.
- Scanning and delivering print journal articles to UB faculty, staff and students through our Delivery + service have resumed.
- Home, office and residence hall delivery options are now available to current UB students, faculty and staff.
Returning Library Materials
- Returns will be accepted at library book drop boxes located:
- Outside of Lockwood Library facing the Alfiero Center on Mary Talbert Way.
- Outside of Lockwood Library main entrance on the 2nd floor. You will not have to enter the library.
- Outside of Abbott Library facing the Diefendorf Loop.
- Outside of the Law Library main entrance on the 2nd floor of O’Brian Hall.
- Library items may also be returned to any SUNY library statewide.
- Please note: All returned library materials will be quarantined for at least 96 hours. Fines and fees will not accrue during the quarantine period. You will receive an email notification when items have been removed from your library account.
- Silverman Library will continue to accept equipment returns at this location. For other returns, please refer to the guidelines above.
- For research help, try Ask A Librarian.
- For Health Sciences information, email AskHSL@buffalo.edu.
- If you are enrolled in or teaching an online course through UB, use our Access to Library Resources & Services guide to learn about the resources and services available through the University Libraries.