Library Hours, Resources and Services
UB is committed to protecting the health and safety of the UB community while remaining focused on our academic, research and community service mission. Ensuring the safety of the entire campus community is paramount as we evolve our response to the COVID-19 pandemic and implement our return to campus plans. Please continue to follow the COVID-19: UB Planning and Response website for the latest information.
In accordance with updated guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Erie County Department of Health, the University at Buffalo will require all students, employees and visitors – regardless of their vaccination status – to wear face coverings while inside campus buildings, effective August 3, 2021.
Face coverings will be required in classrooms, hallways, libraries and other common spaces, as well as UB buses and shuttles.
Last Update: August 24, 2021
- The library hours for the fall 2021 semester are available.
- Special Collections and the Music Library reopened on Monday, August 23, 2021.
- The Libraries Annex will remain closed to the public for the Fall semester
Borrowing Library Materials
- You may borrow items using the UB Libraries Self Checkout app or at a Self Checkout Kiosks.
- There are self-service areas for items on hold on the first floor of Abbott Library and the second floor of Lockwood Library.
Delivery of Library Materials
- UB Libraries resumed delivery of print materials to all patrons. You may pick up requested materials in Lockwood Library or Abbott Library, or have items delivered to your office or home address.
- Scanning and delivering print journal articles to UB faculty, staff and students through our Delivery + service have resumed.
- Home, office and residence hall delivery options are now available to current UB students, faculty and staff.
Returning Library Materials
Library material must be returned or renewed on or before the due date.
Non-reserve library materials may be returned to any University Libraries’ Circulation Desk or book drop unless informed otherwise. Material returned to an outside book drop when the library is closed will be considered returned as of closing time the previous day the library was open.
Returns will be accepted at library book drop boxes located:
- Outside of Lockwood Library facing the Alfiero Center on Mary Talbert Way.
- Outside of Lockwood Library main entrance on the 2nd floor. You will not have to enter the library.
- Outside of Abbott Library facing the Diefendorf Loop.
- Outside of the Law Library main entrance on the 2nd floor of O’Brian Hall.
Library items may also be returned to any SUNY library statewide.
Please note: All returned library materials will be quarantined for at least 96 hours. Fines and fees will not accrue during the quarantine period. You will receive an emil notification when items have been removed from your library account.
Silverman Library will continue to accept equipment returns at this location. For other returns, please refer to the guidelines above.
- For research help, try Ask A Librarian.
- For Health Sciences information, email AskHSL@buffalo.edu.
- If you are enrolled in or teaching an online course through UB, use our Access to Library Resources & Services guide to learn about the resources and services available through the University Libraries.
Food & Beverages
- Due to health and safety concerns, food is not permitted in the Libraries until further notice.