Fall 2020: Library Hours, Resources and Services
UB is committed to protecting the health and safety of the UB community while remaining focused on our academic, research and community service mission. Ensuring the safety of the entire campus community is paramount as we evolve our response to the COVID-19 pandemic and implement our return to campus plans.
UB Libraries and COVID-19: A Message from the Vice Provost for University Libraries.
With the health and safety of the entire UB community as our first priority, UB Libraries are planning a phased re-opening of library spaces on campus. We will continue providing online library services for the Fall 2020 semester. At present, Silverman Library is open to current UB faculty, staff and students ONLY; Silverman Library is not open to the general public. Beginning August 17, 2020 , Lockwood and Abbott Libraries will reopen to current UB faculty, staff, and students ONLY and will also be closed to the general public. See hours for more information.
Last Update: July 30, 2020
Our libraries are open to current UB faculty, staff and students ONLY and will not be open to the public during this time.
- The library hours for the fall 2020 semester are now available.
Borrowing Library Materials
- Beginning on August 17, 2020, you may borrow items using the UB Libraries Self Checkout app or at a Self Checkout Kiosks.
- Beginning on August 17, 2020, there will be self-service areas for items on hold on the first floor of Abbott Library and the second floor of Lockwood Library.
- Throughout the Fall 2020 semester, patrons will not be able to pick up borrowed items in Silverman Library.
Delivery of Library Materials
- Beginning August 17, 2020, UB Libraries will resume delivery of print materials to all patrons. You may pick up requested materials in Lockwood Library or Abbott Library, or have items delivered to your office or home address.
- Scanning and delivering print journal articles to UB faculty, staff and students through our Delivery + service will resume on August 17, 2020.
Returning Library Materials
- Returns will be accepted at library book drop boxes located:
- Outside of Lockwood Library facing the Alfiero Center on Putnam Way.
- Outside of Lockwood Library main entrance on the 2nd floor. You will not have to enter the library.
- Outside of Abbott Library facing the Diefendorf Loop.
- Outside of the Law Library main entrance on the 2nd floor of O’Brian Hall.
- Library items may also be returned to any SUNY library statewide.
- Beginning August 31, 2020, Silverman Library will continue to accept equipment returns at this location. For other returns, please refer to the guidelines above.
- For research help, try Ask A Librarian.
- For Health Sciences information, email AskHSL@buffalo.edu.
- If you are enrolled in or teaching an online course through UB, use our Access to Library Resources & Services guide to learn about the resources and services available through the University Libraries.
- Face coverings must be worn at all times on UB campuses, including the Libraries.
- Furniture has been rearranged to promote socially distant studying.
- All library service desks will be fitted with a protective plexiglass guard.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in Abbott, Lockwood and Silverman Libraries.
- UB Facilities will conduct regular cleaning and disinfection of public spaces.
- Disposable disinfecting wipes will be available.
- Video Recording Studios in Silverman Library may be reserved.
- Please continue to follow UB Health Guidelines throughout the academic year.