Library Hours, Resources and Services
UB is committed to protecting the health and safety of the UB community while remaining focused on our academic, research and community service mission. Ensuring the safety of the entire campus community is paramount as we evolve our response to the COVID-19 pandemic and implement our return to campus plans.
UB Libraries and COVID-19: A Message from the Vice Provost for University Libraries.
The health and safety of the entire UB community as our first priority. We will continue providing online library services. The Silverman, Lockwood and Abbott Libraries are now open to current UB faculty, staff, and students ONLY. See hours for more information.
Last Update: December 22, 2020
Our libraries are open to current UB faculty, staff and students ONLY and will not be open to the public during this time.
- The library hours for the winter recess, winter session (2021), intersession are now available.
- The library hours for the spring 2021 semester are now available.
Borrowing Library Materials
- You may borrow items using the UB Libraries Self Checkout app or at a Self Checkout Kiosks.
- There are self-service areas for items on hold on the first floor of Abbott Library and the second floor of Lockwood Library.
- Throughout the Spring 2021 semester, patrons will not be able to pick up borrowed items in Silverman Library.
Delivery of Library Materials
- UB Libraries resumed delivery of print materials to all patrons. You may pick up requested materials in Lockwood Library or Abbott Library, or have items delivered to your office or home address.
- Scanning and delivering print journal articles to UB faculty, staff and students through our Delivery + service have resumed.
- Home, office and residence hall delivery options are now available to current UB students, faculty and staff.
Returning Library Materials
- Returns will be accepted at library book drop boxes located:
- Outside of Lockwood Library facing the Alfiero Center on Mary Talbert Way.
- Outside of Lockwood Library main entrance on the 2nd floor. You will not have to enter the library.
- Outside of Abbott Library facing the Diefendorf Loop.
- Outside of the Law Library main entrance on the 2nd floor of O’Brian Hall.
- Library items may also be returned to any SUNY library statewide.
- Please note: All returned library materials will be quarantined for at least 96 hours. Fines and fees will not accrue during the quarantine period. You will receive an email notification when items have been removed from your library account.
- Overdue fines have been temporarily waived and for the time being, there is perpetual renewal on items borrowed prior to the pandemic.
- Silverman Library will continue to accept equipment returns at this location. For other returns, please refer to the guidelines above.
- For research help, try Ask A Librarian.
- For Health Sciences information, email AskHSL@buffalo.edu.
- If you are enrolled in or teaching an online course through UB, use our Access to Library Resources & Services guide to learn about the resources and services available through the University Libraries.
- Face coverings must be worn at all times on UB campuses, including the Libraries.
- Food and beverages are not permitted in the Libraries.
- Furniture has been rearranged to promote socially distant studying.
- All library service desks will be fitted with a protective plexiglass guard.
- Availability of library group study rooms will be limited during the Spring 2021 semester.
- Temporary workspaces for students needing a place between classes are available throughout campus. Visit Touchdown Space Locations for more information.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in Abbott, Lockwood and Silverman Libraries.
- UB Facilities will conduct regular cleaning and disinfection of public spaces.
- Disposable disinfecting wipes will be available.
- Video Recording Studios in Silverman Library may be reserved.
- New, touchless print kiosks are located throughout the Libraries.
- Please continue to follow UB Health Guidelines throughout the academic year.