The Curved Pergolas1
BY JOHN M. CARRÈR
of Carrère and Hastings
THESE structures curve from the Triumphal Causeway to the eastward and westward, tending to connect the Pylons with the Esplanades and to unify the architectural composition of the whole plan. They were designed to provide covered shelters for the visitors, and are an adaptation of the Pompeiian trellis, but on a larger scale and more elaborate. Double rows of columns make a wide nave and two side aisles with a pediment at either end. The side aisles are divided into bays, thus forming retired places for the visitors to sit and listen to the music on the Esplanades, and watch the gondolas on the water of the East and West lakes. Since being designed these buildings have been converted into open-air restaurants. They are gay in color treatment and suggestive of the exposition spirit.
1. Text quoted directly from the Art Hand-Book, Official Handbook of Architecture and Sculpture and Art Catalogue to the Pan-American Exposition. Ed. David Gray. Buffalo, N.Y.: David Gray, 1901. Sources of the images are noted with each.