BY WALTER COOK , of Babb, Cook & Willard
THE north side of the Plaza is occupied by a colonnade surmounted by a sort of pergola with green vines and flanked by two large archways giving access from the railroad station. This structure, to which the name of the Propylæa has been given, forms the northerly end of the whole architectural composition of the Exposition. It is treated in a very free style, as regards the two archways especially, and seeks above all to manifest the Exposition character and be a gay festival entrance to a great fair.
In the buildings themselves but little statuary has been used; on the other hand, both statues and vases are employed freely in the treatment of the balustrades, and under the colonnade of the Propylæa.
The visitors to the Stadium pass under the arcade of the building on the east side of the Plaza, traverse a small open-air vestibule defined by balustrades, and enter the Stadium itself.
1. Text quoted directly from the Art Hand-Book, Official Handbook of Architecture and Sculpture and Art Catalogue to the Pan-American Exposition. Ed. David Gray. Buffalo, N.Y.: David Gray, 1901. Sources of the images are noted with each.