BY JOHN M. CARRÈR
of Carrère and Hastings
THESE are four terraces running north and south on either side of the Court of Lilies and the Court of Cypresses. They were erected not only to form these retired courts and provide easy passageways from one building to another, but also to furnish elevated resting-places as points of vantage from which the public might view the illuminations and fountain effects. They were inspired by the famous architectural treatment of the lake at the Parc Monceau, Paris. The row of gaines, executed by Professor L. Amateis, which bear the trellis, is, however, a new feature.
1. Text quoted directly from the Art Hand-Book, Official Handbook of Architecture and Sculpture and Art Catalogue to the Pan-American Exposition. Ed. David Gray. Buffalo, N.Y.: David Gray, 1901. Sources of the images are noted with each.