James Maynard PhD
Curator, Poetry Collection and Interim Coordinator, Rare & Special Books Collection
420 Capen Hall, North Campus
Buffalo, NY 14260
- Ph: 716-645-1373
Office hours are by appointment. Please email me if you would like to schedule a meeting.
Education and Training
- PhD, English, University at Buffalo, 2007
- MA, English: Creative Writing, Temple University, 2001
- BA, Major in English, Minor in Creative Writing, Ursinus College, 1997
Awards and Honors
- Irish Echo Community Champions Award, 2018.
- Poetry Foundation Pegasus Award for Poetry Criticism for Robert Duncan: Collected Essays and Other Prose, 2014.
- Honorable mention, Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS), 2010 Katharine Kyes Leab and Daniel J. Leab American Book Prices Current Exhibition Awards for the exhibition catalogue Discovering James Joyce, 2010.
- University at Buffalo Graduate Student Excellence in Teaching Award, 2006.
- Temple University College of Liberal Arts Distinguished Teaching Award, 2001.
- Robert Duncan and the Pragmatist Sublime.Recencies: Research and Recovery in Twentieth-Century American Poetry. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2018.
- Poetry in the Making: A Bibliography of Publications by Graduate Students in the Poetics Program, University at Buffalo, 1991-2016. Buffalo, NY: The Poetry Collection, 2016. Reprint 2017. [Among the Neighbors chapbook #1]
- Such Conjunctions: Robert Duncan, Jess, and Alberto de Lacerda. Ed. Luis Amorim de Sousa, Mary Porter de Sousa, and James Maynard. Buffalo: BlazeVOX Books, 2014.
- Robert Duncan: Collected Essays and Other Prose. Ed. James Maynard. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2014.
- (Re:)Working the Ground: Essays on the Late Writings of Robert Duncan. Ed. James Maynard. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Discovering James Joyce: The University at Buffalo Collection. Ed. James Maynard. Buffalo: The Poetry Collection, 2009.
- Duncan, Robert. Ground Work: Before the War / In the Dark. Ed. Robert J. Bertholf and James Maynard. Intro. Michael Palmer. New York: New Directions, 2006.
Contributions to Books (selected)
- “Poetry in the Making: A Bibliography of Publications by Graduate Students in the Poetics Program, 1991-2016.” Poetics and Precarity. The University at Buffalo Robert Creeley Lectures in Poetry and Poetics. Ed. Myung Mi Kim and Cristanne Miller. Albany: State University of New York Press, 2018. 169-203.
- “‘Some Pleasing Weird Collages’: An Archival Introduction to Helen Adam’s Collage Forms.” The Collages of Helen Adam. Ed. Alison Fraser. Further Other Book Works/Cuneiform Press, 2017. 9-23.
- “Some Notes on Jonathan Williams and Robert Duncan.” Jonathan Williams: The Lord of Orchards. Ed. Jeffery Beam and Richard Owens. Westport, CT: Prospecta Books, 2017. 131-33.
- Foreword: “Remembering Robert J. Bertholf (1940–2016).” Theodore Enslin: A Checklist. By Robert J. Bertholf. Hillsborough, NC: Alexander Rare Books, 2017.
- Foreword. Launched in Context: Seven Essays on the Archive. Buffalo, NY: University at Buffalo Poetics Program, 2016. 5.
- "Poetry as Primary Community: Duncan, Spicer, Blaser, McClure, Olson, Levertov, and Creeley." An Opening of the Field: Jess, Robert Duncan, and Their Circle." Ed. Michael Duncan and Christopher Wagstaff. Portland, OR: Pomegranate, 2013. 131-148.
- "Robert Duncan's The H.D. Book." Approaches to Teaching H.D.'s Poetry and Prose. Ed. Annette Debo and Lara Vetter. New York: Modern Language Assocation, 2011. 148-152.
- “‘To Speak Forth’: An Imaginary Dialogue with Myung Mi Kim.” Building is a Process / Light Is an Element: Essays and Excursions for Myung Mi Kim. Ed. Michael Cross and Andrew Rippeon. Buffalo: P-Queue / Queue Books, 2008. 43-47.
Journal Articles (selected)
- “An Interview with James Maynard.” The Robert Frost Review 28 (Fall 2018): 58-61.
- Duncan, Robert. “Black Mountain College.” Introduced and edited by James Maynard. Appalachian Journal 44.3-4/45.1-2 (2017/2018): 266-270.
- "The Collages of Helen Adam (Part II)." January 13, 2016. Full Stop.
- "Acts of Curation: The Curating of Poetry & The Poetics of Curating." Ed. James Maynard. With Michael Basinski, Marie Elia, Nancy Kuhl, James Maynard, and Edric Mesmer. The Reading Room: A Journal of Special Collections 1.1 (Fall 2015).
- "A Note on the William Carlos Williams Collection at the Poetry Collection of the University Libraries, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York." William Carlos Williams Review 30.1-2 (Spring/Fall 2013): 205-207.
- "Curators' Choice." Mimeo Mimeo 8 (Spring 2013): 105-112.
- James Maynard, interviewed by Edric Mesmer. Yellow Field 2 (Spring 2011): 46-49.
- "Some Notes on Jonathan Williams and Robert Duncan." Jacket 28 (Late 2009).
- “Epitaph to Experimental Review: Robert Duncan’s Little Magazines 1938-1941.” Mimeo Mimeo 2 (Autumn 2008): 13-24.
- "'Relationship, Place, and Company': A Conversation with Robert Creeley." JAST: Journal of American Studies of Turkey 27 (Spring 2008): 141-181.
- “Extending the Field: Robert Duncan and Alfred North Whitehead.” Process Studies 36.1 (Spring-Summer 2007): 68-88.
- Robert Duncan. “Ten Poems.” Transcribed and ed. by Robert J. Bertholf and James Maynard. Jacket 28 (October 2005).
- Robert Duncan. “Ten Letters.” Transcribed and ed. by Robert J. Bertholf and James Maynard. Jacket 28 (October 2005).
- Robert Duncan. “Ten Prose Pieces.” Transcribed and ed. by Robert J. Bertholf and James Maynard. Jacket 28 (October 2005).
- Robert Duncan. “From Robert Duncan’s Notebooks: On Denise Levertov.” Transcribed and ed. by Robert J. Bertholf and James Maynard. Jacket 28 (October 2005).
- “‘I Find / I Found / Myself / and Nothing / More Than That’: Textuality, Visuality, and the Production of Subjectivity in Tom Phillips’A Humument.” The Journal of the Midwest Modern Language Association 36.1 (Spring 2003): 82-98.
Book Reviews (selected)
- "Reconsidering Joyce's Poetry." Review of The Poetry of James Joyce Reconsidered ed. by Marc C. Conner. James Joyce Literary Supplement 27.1 (Spring 2013): 4-5.
- Review of Whitehead's Radically Different Postmodern Philosophy: An Argument for Its Contemporary Relevance by David Ray Griffin. Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society 43.4 (Fall 2007): 802-809.
- "Pragmatist Improvisations." Review of Emancipating Pragmatism: Emerson, Jazz, and Experimental Writing by Michael Magee and Paracritical Hinge: Essays, Talks, Notes, Interviews by Nathaniel Mackey. Journal of Modern Literature 30.3 (Spring 2007): 133-142.
My research interests include twentieth-century Anglophone poetry and poetics, pragmatism and process philosophy, the history of little magazines and small presses, literary archives, and the writings of Robert Duncan.