Philip Dorsheimer Laboratory/Greenhouse
The Dorsheimer Laboratory and Greenhouse consists of four greenhouse units with environments ranging from tropical to cold. It is used for instruction and research in biology and the botanical sciences.
Philip Dorsheimer (1797-1868) was a postmaster and collector of port duties in Buffalo. He originally emigrated from Germany in 1815, settling in Pennsylvania. In April of 1836, he made Buffalo his new home. Dorsheimer held several government posts under presidents Van Buren, Polk and Lincoln and served as New York Treasurer from 1860-1861.
- 1979 -- (August) Construction complete
Original Architect: William L. Long and Associates of Buffalo
Construction Cost: $31,000
Original Size: 9,231 gross sq. ft.