George R. LevineBorn: 1929
George R. Levine, a native of Boston, graduated from Tufts University in 1951 and received an M.A. in English literature from Columbia in 1952. From 1952-54 he served in Korea in the U.S. Army Signal Corps. He returned to Columbia University and received his Ph.D. in English and Comparative Literature in 1961. He served as Instructor of English at both Columbia and Northwestern universities before beginning as an Assistant Professor in the English Department at the State University of New York at Buffalo in 1963.
In 1969 Prof. Levine was awarded a Fulbright Lecturing Award. He spent the 1969-1970 academic year at the University of Cologne, W. Germany, lecturing on the literature of the Restoration and the 18th Century. His other areas of specialization were in lyric poetry and the relationship of literature and the Arts.
Prof. Levine was promoted to full professor in 1970 and received the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching in 1974. From 1975 to 1981 he served as Provost and Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Letters.
Prof. Levine served on or chaired numerous committees at the University and in the community. Of relevance to this collection, he chaired the Faculty Senate Committee on Tenure and Privileges from 1968-1969 where he reviewed the handling of tenure cases in the Classics Department. In 1982-83 he chaired the Task Group to Review the Office of Cultural Affairs, whose role was to integrate and develop University and community cultural life. In 1995-96 he chaired a Provostial Committee on the Future of the Arts at U.B.
Prof. Levine retired from the University at Buffalo in 2001.
Record Group(s): 16
Biographical File Contains: