1966 Buffalo Bulls Football
The Bulls’ 1966 campaign was Richard “Doc” Urich’s first year as head football coach at Buffalo. The 37-year-old Urich was the offensive line and receiver coach at the University of Notre Dame. He succeeded Dick Offenhamer who resigned on January 8, 1966.
The campaign was nothing to shout about from a won-lost (5-5) standpoint. At the same time, Urich’s team did provide plenty of excitement and never could be counted out of a game before the final gun.
Perhaps the strangest game of the season was a 27-8 road lose to Tampa. Buffalo didn’t have much of a chance as over half the team became sick from food poisoning before the game even started.
Individuals stars included quarterback Mick Murtha, receiver Dick Ashley, fullback Lee Jones and safety Tom Hurd.
The passing – combination of quarterback Mick Murtha and split end Dick Ashley helped to rewrite several Bulls’ aerial records. Safety Tom Hurd lead the team with six interceptions.
Fullback Lee Jones was named to the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) first All-East team edging out Larry Csonka of Syracuse. The junior fullback totaled 554 yards in 146 carries for a 3.7 yard average and led the nation with 16 rushing touchdowns. (see “Bulls’ Lee Jones On All-East Team” Buffalo Courier-Express, 29 November 1966)
1966 Buffalo Bulls Football Season
|Date||Home Team||Score||Visiting Team||W-L-T||Location|
|9/17/19661||Kent State||23 – 27||Buffalo||W||Kent ,OH|
|9/24/19662||Buffalo||21 – 28||Cornell||L||Buffalo, NY|
|10/1/19663||Buffalo||28 – 8||Villanova||W||Buffalo, NY|
|10/8/19664||Boston University||26 – 16||Buffalo||L||Boston, MA|
|10/15/19665||Dayton||13 – 3||Buffalo||L||Dayton, OH|
|10/22/19666||Boston College||22 – 21||Buffalo||L||Boston, MA|
|10/29/19667||Buffalo||35 – 3||Holy Cross||W||Buffalo, NY|
|11/5/19668||Buffalo||36 – 6||Delaware University||W||Buffalo, NY|
|11/12/19669||University of Tampa||27 – 8||Buffalo||L||Tampa, FL|
|11/19/196610||Buffalo||25 – 16||Youngstown State||W||Buffalo, NY|
FINAL RECORD: 5-5
Home: Rotary Field, Bailey and Winspear Avenues;
Coach: Richard “Doc” Urich
- “Buffalo Nips Kent In 27-23 Thriller” Niagara Falls Gazette Niagara Falls, NY, 18 September 1966.
- “Cornell Edges Buffalo 28-21” Niagara Falls Gazette Niagara Falls, NY, 25 September 1966.
- “Buffalo Bulls Topple Villanova Wildcats” Niagara Falls Gazette Niagara Falls, NY, 2 October 1966.
- “No ‘Bombs’ In Mick’s Bag of Tricks” Binghamton Press Binghamton, NY, 9 October 1966.
- “UB Loses To Dayton In 13-3 Tilt” Niagara Falls Gazette Niagara Falls, NY, 16 October 1966.
- “Boston College Turns Back UB, 22-21” Buffalo Courier-Express Buffalo, NY, 23 October 1966.
- “UB Crushes Holy Cross In 35-3 Romp” Buffalo Courier-Express Buffalo, NY, 30 October 1966.
- “UB Scores 36-6 Romp Over Delaware” Buffalo Courier-Express Buffalo, NY, 6 November 1966.
- “Tampa Registers 27-8 Upset Over UB” Buffalo Courier-Express Buffalo, NY, 13 November 1966.
- “Erratic UB Whips Penguins as Jones Has 3 TDs, 25-16” Buffalo Courier-Express Buffalo, NY, 20 November 1966.