Policy For Use of Online Information
Databases, electronic journals, and other subscription-based electronic resources, are provided for academic research by current authorized University at Buffalo faculty, students and staff only. The use of each online service is governed by copyright law and by the terms of the license between the University at Buffalo or the State University of New York (SUNY) and the respective publisher.
Searching the content of the online service, including searching, viewing and browsing tables of content, full-text of articles, bibliographic information and data.
- Downloading, saving and printing limited data or articles for personal, academic use only.
NOTE: Downloading entire collections of data or entire issues of a journal or conference is a violation of copyright law and a violation of licenses with publishers. Downloads which are detected as excessive or in violation of copyright may be terminated without advance warning.
- Any commercial use. For example, reselling downloaded information.
- Any systematic or substantial reproduction of the information provided in the database or electronic journal or creation of derivative works.
- Any alteration, modification, or repackaging of the information contents in the database or electronic journal, including creating a searchable archive.
- Any distribution of the information contents of the online service, or material downloaded from the online service, in any form.
- Any systematic or programmatic downloading (e.g., the use of automated "robots") or otherwise downloading or attempting to download in a short time period excessive amounts of material.
- Adding, removing, or modifying identifying network header information (aka "spoofing").
- Attempting to impersonate any person by using forged headers or other identifying information.
- Using any program/script/command or sending messages of any kind, designed to interfere with a user's session, by any means, (i.e., proxy hunters, spiders, robots).
- Removing, modifying, or obscuring copyright notices or other notices and disclaimers.
- Facilitating use or access by non-authorized users, including sharing your password or other login information with anyone.
Unauthorized use of or access to these online services may violate the UB IT Computer and Network Use Policy and can result in individuals losing access to these online services and/or to the University at Buffalo network. Violation of the UB IT Computer and Network Use Policy can result in disciplinary action. Continued or repeated misuse of an online service can result in the loss of access for the entire University at Buffalo community.