Your UB Card serves as your library card. Current UB students, faculty and staff may use their cards to check out books and other materials at any campus library.
Renewing Library Materials
The renewal period is the maximum length of time an item may be borrowed from the original due date. Loan renewal periods are determined by library material type and the borrower status, i.e., UB student, faculty, staff, or guest.
UB students, faculty, staff, and visitors with a Courtesy Borrower Card may renew overdue library materials using My Account.
- Phone renewals are not permitted.
- Course reserve material may not be renewed.
- Not all material types are renewable; renewal will be at the discretion of the library unit.
- Materials may be recalled if needed for Course Reserve or course instruction.
- UB Libraries Materials - Automatically renewed unless your account has expired or materials have been declared lost.
- SUNY Resource Sharing Network Materials - Automatically renewed a maximum of 3 times.
- Non-SUNY Resource Sharing Materials - NO automatic renewals. Renewal requests can be made by using My Account. Renewals are at the discretion of the lending library.
- Interlibrary Loan Materials- May be renewed using My Account, or by contacting Delivery Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions regarding renewal policies, please contact the appropriate Library Services Desk.
Returning Library Materials
Library materials must be returned or renewed on or before the due date.
Non-reserve library materials may be returned:
- At a Library Services Desk in Abbott, Law, Lockwood or the Music Library.
- At a library book return box. Materials returned to a book return box when the library is closed are considered returned as of closing time the previous day the library was open.
- Book return locations:
- Outside of Lockwood Library facing the Alfiero Center on Mary Talbert Way.
- Outside of Lockwood Library main entrance on the 2nd floor.
- Outside of Abbott Library facing the Diefendorf Loop.
- Outside of the Law Library main entrance on the 2nd floor of O’Brian Hall.
- At any SUNY library
- By mail: University at Buffalo Delivery Services, 235 Lockwood Memorial Library, Buffalo, NY 14260
- By UB Campus Mail: Send library materials to University Libraries Delivery Services, 235 Lockwood Library, North Campus. Please use a UB Libraries reusable bag if available.
All equipment returns (laptops, cameras, etc.) are accepted at Silverman Library only. For other returns, please refer to the guidelines above.
Course Reserve Materials
Course Reserve materials must be returned directly to the library from which they were borrowed.
Controlled Circulating Materials
Certain library materials must be returned directly to the library from which they were borrowed.
Proof of Return
Borrowers are responsible for providing proof of return of library material by obtaining a receipt. Receipts are issued by request at a Library Services Desk.