Your UB Card serves as your library card. Current UB students, faculty and staff may use their cards to check out books and other materials at any campus library.
Renewing/Returning has been updated due to COVID-19.
Loan renewal periods are determined by library material type and the borrower status, i.e., UB student, faculty, staff, or guest. The renewal period is the maximum length of time an item may be borrowed from the original due date.
Renewals can be made by going to My Account.
- Telephone renewals are not permitted.
- Overdue materials may be renewed by UB students, faculty and staff borrowers and visitors with a Courtesy Borrower Card.
- Course reserve material may not be renewed.
- Not all material types are renewable; renewal will be at the discretion of the library unit.
- Materials may be recalled if need for Course Reserve or course instruction.
UB Libraries Materials
UB Libraries material will be automatically renewed unless your account is expired or materials have been declared Lost.
SUNY Resource Sharing Materials
Materials borrowed through the SUNY Resource Sharing network will be automatically renewed a maximum of 3 times.
Non-SUNY Resource Sharing Materials
Materials borrowed from non-SUNY libraries will NOT be automatically renewed. Renewal requests can be made by going to My Account. Renewals will be at the discretion of the lending library.
If you have a question regarding renewal policies, contact the appropriate Circulation Desk.
Returning Library Materials
Library material must be returned or renewed on or before the due date.
Non-reserve library materials may be returned to any University Libraries' Circulation Desk or book drop unless informed otherwise. Material returned to an outside book drop when the library is closed will be considered returned as of closing time the previous day the library was open.
Returns will be accepted at library book drop boxes located:
- Outside of Lockwood Library facing the Alfiero Center on Mary Talbert Way.
- Outside of Lockwood Library main entrance on the 2nd floor. You will not have to enter the library.
- Outside of Abbott Library facing the Diefendorf Loop.
- Outside of the Law Library main entrance on the 2nd floor of O’Brian Hall.
Library items may also be returned to any SUNY library statewide.
Please note: All returned library materials will be quarantined for at least 96 hours. Fines and fees will not accrue during the quarantine period. You will receive an emil notification when items have been removed from your library account.
Silverman Library will continue to accept equipment returns at this location. For other returns, please refer to the guidelines above.
Course Reserve Materials
Course reserve material must be returned directly to the library from which it is borrowed.
Controlled Circulating Materials
Special material may be designated for return directly to the library from which it is borrowed. Most controlled circulating items, must be returned to the home site.
Proof of Return
Borrowers are responsible for providing proof of return of library material by obtaining a receipt. Receipts will be issued by request at service desks.