Your UB Card serves as your library card. Current UB students, faculty and staff may use their cards to check out books and other materials at any campus library.
Library materials may be renewed an unlimited number of times, unless requested by another reader. Renewals can be made by going to My Account.
- Telephone renewals are not permitted.
- Overdue materials may be renewed by UB students, faculty and staff borrowers, and visitors with a Courtesy Borrower Card.
- Course reserve material may not be renewed.
- Not all material types are renewable; renewal will be at the discretion of the library unit.
- Materials borrowed through Delivery+ must be renewed in My Account and the request must be made at least three days before the item is due (giving time to request the renewal from the lending library.)
If you have a question regarding renewal policies, contact the appropriate Circulation Desk.
Returning Library Materials
Library material must be returned or renewed on or before the due date to avoid fines.
Non-reserve library materials may be returned to any University Libraries' Circulation Desk or book drop unless informed otherwise. You may also use one of the self-check stations located in Silverman or Lockwood Libraries. Material returned to an outside book drop when the library is closed will be considered returned as of closing time the previous day the library was open.
Book drops are available 24/7 at the entrance to each library.
Requested materials should be returned to any University Libraries' Circulation Desk by the new due date.
Course Reserve Materials
Course reserve material must be returned directly to the library from which it is borrowed.
Controlled Circulating Materials
Special material may be designated for return directly to the library from which it is borrowed. Most controlled circulating items, e.g., multimedia materials and periodicals, must be returned to the home site. Periodicals may sometimes circulate briefly; ask for details at the circulation desk.
- Law Library audio-visual materials must be returned to the Koren A-V Center
Proof of Return
Borrowers are responsible for providing proof of return of library material by obtaining a receipt. Receipts will be issued by request at circulation desks. You may also print out a return receipt at one of the self-check stations located in Silverman or Lockwood Libraries.